Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Number Two's Official

Once you fall behind, it's really hard to catch up. But since I care about our readers (assuming someone reads this, then that's YOU) so much, I will do it. There might be a few gaps here and there, but you would never read it if there weren't. I suppose I'm long-winded as it is. So... what have you missed? I think I'd better dedicate this post to the main thing. We finally broke down and got a flat-screen TV to watch HD content! Yay!

Wait a minute, there's something else. We had a baby. Number two is official. Don't feel bad if you only just saw the announcement here... two months later. The only other people who saw or heard anything were on Facebook (which you should join, if you haven't yet... that is, unless you don't like keeping in touch with friends, which doesn't quite add up if you like the blog thing). I didn't even call anyone from the hospital besides my parents. It was just too hectic and I couldn't be bothered. (Just whipped out some Aussie right there. Did you catch it?) So here we go.

Announcing Mirei Haili Yu 游海莉, weighing in at 6 lbs 11 oz and measuring 2o.5 inches. Exactly the same stats as Taisei except that he was 2 oz heavier. After 2 hours of pushing, Dr. Laine coaxed her out with giant salad tongs (forceps). Wami was happy not to need pitocin and a C-section this time. Ever bigger, she didn't get the full-body rash that last time caused her to never want to bear child again.

Our experience at the LDS hospital was mixed this time. Mirei unfortunately came at the time of the big swine flu H1N1 scare. Wami never gets sick, but she happened to have a temperature and cough right when Mirei was due. Both Mirei and Wami had antibiotics administrated via IV. That's the reason for needle in Mirei's head. Poor baby. :( The delivery went smoothly since our doctor is way cool, but once we moved into recovery, we started to notice things. For example, in front of our door, a pile of supplies and carts started to build. The first nurses walked in casually the first time, but then the protocol began. Before they entered our room, each nurse had to walk down an assembly line putting on masks, gloves, smocks, etc, before they could come in. Although I totally understand the precautionary measures, sometimes we were treated like disease-ridden animals that had to be avoided at all costs. One nurse actually stood by the doorway and just gave me orders. "Bag this, change that, etc." Really? But there were a few nurses that were fantastic and treated us just like any other patient.

Mirei was not allowed in the nursery, so we had no break there. And the nurses were afraid to do much. To add to the mess, Taisei was not allowed in the hospital, so we couldn't see him at all. I had to choose between staying with Wami and the baby, or staying at home with Taisei. After just one night of seeing how it was going to be, we checked out. **I do have to make a note of the food service at LDS though. It was fabulous. We got a 4 page menu and could order anything we wanted anytime from 6 am to 1 pm. Breakfast omelets, appetizers, entrees like chicken fried steak, fruits, desserts, smoothies, ice cream - it was the bomb. The only problem was that Wami had a serious appetite. No matter how much we ordered, she'd polish it almost all off. haha

The delivery wasn't without complication for Wami. Some weird shock to her bladder kept it from functioning for almost three weeks. We saw a urologist and Wami had to have a portable cathetor for the whole time. Don't give her a hard time about it ok? I accidentally did once and I'm sure I'll never live it down. It was a sensitive time. Once all bodily functions returned to full functionality, life was grand.

Mirei's been a joy to have for all of us. Taisei's taken very well to her so far and always wants to show off "his baby" to his friends. Although when she's not happy, she makes her displeasure our displeasure by screaming "bloody murder, the world's gonna end!" Something like that.


Mirei's gotten better, although she still has episodes between 9 and 11 where she just goes nuts and we can't figure out what to do. The pediatrician says it may be a slight case of colic. All that really means is that the baby cried and is fussy for no know reason. Great. Thanks Doctor. You're a genius. :) I suppose having terminology tells people that others experience the same thing, so you should feel better about it. Ok. We feel a little better about it.

Thanks to my parents for coming to help us after we had the baby. It's definitely harder to give Mirei the attention that Taisei got now that we have to split time. At first, Taisei only noticed that Mama wasn't there as much, so that's who he wanted. It was nice to have grandpa and granpma there to play with Taisei. Also thanks to all of your who brought food, although at most only one or two of you read this blog.

This is a recent family picture. My how we've changed.


This is Mirei and Taisei yesterday.

14 comment(s):

Congrats, you have a beautiful family. Tell Wami that I feel her pain, it's always a miracle when a woman brings a child into the world and is will to do it again! ;0)

By Blogger F Montierth, at 1/14/2010 9:39 AM  

Thanks for the update! Love the family picture, such a happy family!

By Blogger chauwell, at 1/14/2010 10:32 AM  

Yu've got readers and followers, no worries. Some may not reply but keep up the good posts! Like Flo states, you have a beautiful family and Mirei is a miracle. With unforseen circumstances and complications, your family returned home safely and that is all what counts.:D

By Blogger Da, at 1/14/2010 12:31 PM  

whoa, Mirei has really changed! She has really filled out. And she looks so much like you or Dad.

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 1/14/2010 3:27 PM  

I like that pic of Taisei bending over Mirei. That's cool that they were almost the exact same size.

Well, it's too bad you felt like a giant germ with the way the nurses acted but it is good to know that they are so cautious with not carrying things from one patient to the next.

Good for Wami for busting you for accidentally giving her a hard time. That had to be miserable. My friend had her appendix taken out and had problems there too. Miserable.

Anyway, Mirei is a cutie.

By Blogger Esther, at 1/14/2010 10:32 PM  

Thanks for the post! It's nice to get a more detailed update for those of us that sit on the edge of our seats in the blogosphere...

By Blogger Shawn O., at 1/18/2010 6:39 AM  

Congrats to you guys. You have a beautiful girl. Well, giving a birth is not an easy thing and truly a miracle I think. Well, Jerin, all I can say is this, someday, all men experince the pain of giving a birth without a drag... I wonder how you guys react... But of cause that will not happen so I guess I will never known.... hahah.

By Blogger Fuku_chan, at 1/22/2010 1:21 AM  

CONGRATULATIONS! Wami is such a trooper. Your new daughter is adorable!

My nephew was just born last week and had that IV-in-the-head thing, too. It's so terrible to see a helpless baby in pain. I'm glad your daughter's all better now.

Tony and I are pretty late for asking, but if you ever need a meal or some babysitting, we'd be glad to help!

By Blogger Margaret, at 1/22/2010 4:13 PM  

I just feel so happy to see your post and family picture. It's so nice to have a family of four. I am looking forward to it now.

By Blogger Amber(怡文), at 1/24/2010 8:34 PM  

Aww- Life is so hectic- I almost forgot that you guys had a baby girl! We better come and visit soon. Mirei is adorable and Taisei will be a great older brother. Good Job Wami! Hope you guys are doing well!

By Blogger LaReen, at 2/01/2010 2:50 PM  

Dear Yus, I haven't commented on this specific post because I feel like we're in communication, but then I'm trying to remember the last time we talked to you and I don't know when that is! We have a US number now, btw. MagicJack. It's cool.

Mirei is beautiful. Colic is no fun, stupid name and all. Wami is amazing. Taisei gets cuter and cuter every year. You're doing a good job keeping up the family blog. It must be a real challenge with work and school and life. It's good to read the stories and see the pictures. Take care!

By Blogger Michelle, at 2/06/2010 5:38 AM  

congrats. She is adorable. I hear you on the rash thing Wami. I had it with Ethan (the first) and never had it again. It's because our skin is stretching so fast and our small bodies can't handle it...anyways, what a beautiful family.

By Blogger Winnie, at 3/03/2010 10:41 PM  

WOW, what else had I missed?! Big congrats to you all. Now you are officially free to decide if you want more kids OR NOT. See ya.

By Blogger the Dao's, at 3/10/2010 7:43 PM  

You're right.. i'm totally behind on your blog. BUT Merei is sooo freaking cute!! Congratulations guys!! Miss you and see you soon?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/31/2010 11:56 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home