Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Friday, March 10, 2006

The Calm Before The Storm

There are 19 days left until the official due date. That's less than three weeks. Being officially "full term," she really could go any day now. But at the moment, everything feels very peaceful and right. I feel we are as prepared as we're ever going to be.

Wami and I just completed our "third-trimester" birthing class. Some people say that the classes aren't that valuable. But when you are as green and void of surrounding family as we are, it can be a valuable class. Our teacher for the third-trimester class, LeeCherie, was great. Even though I had to skip two Corporate League basketball games (one of which we lost, leaving us in a tie for 1st!), we now know how the baby twists and turns as it comes out, how doctors do episiotomies (OUCH!) and caesarian sections, what labor and dillation is, and ways to give pregnant ladies massages among many other things. I'm afraid to think about how clueless we would still be if it wasn't for that class.

We also finished our breastfeeding class last week. I was the only dude. It was OK at first... but then it started to get a little uncomfortable as the ladies started practicing and things like that. :| I tried to keep my head down. The teacher was a little overzealous (?) so there was a weird vibe throughout the duration of the class. It seemed like her purpose in having kids was to breastfeed them. And breastfeeding was her calling in life. O....K......

Hiro just finished his last obedience class of the series on Saturday. We had a pretty strict trainer (Leslie) and a class (Willow Creek Pet Center - I highly recommend it!) full of well disciplined dogs and owners. It was like going from preschool to first grade. Suddenly, we really had to do our homework, or else we got left behind. By the last day, there were only 3 out of 10 or so dogs that graduated. Hiro made it, although some days, I was a proud father, watching Hiro perform flawlessly and some days I was not. He still has a "sloppy" sit but he will stay for a long time and always recall on command. On the last day, he lost it. All he had to do was lay down and stay as we stepped away. He simply refused to do it. He wanted to stand. This is never a problem at home. But it was that day. The teacher came over and started wrastling with him, trying to force him down and make him submit. Hiro wouldn't have it. He fought and fought and fought. I guess that's what gives Jack Russells their rep. As the trainer got more and more frustrated, she reminded us that "it's important not to get emotional about it." I almost laughed out loud. As the rest of the class looked on, I got a taste of what it might feel like to one day have a boy or girl that misbehaves in class.

For the next 2-3 weeks, as we anxiously await Wami's labor to begin, we plan to just continue to getting the house ready, work with Hiro to be a good big brother, and work with the good Young Women and Boy Scouts of our Chinese ward. Oh and we have to figure out a name for our baby!

5 comment(s):

Can't wait to see your baby!! I bet you guys are almost tired of waiting for her or him to come out by now. Well, sleep well since you can't do it for a while after the birth. hehehe.

Good luck!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/10/2006 10:33 PM  

"ouch" for episiotomies, huh? Jerin that's just the tip of the iceburg! you're not only gonna be a proud papa, but a proud husband too to see Wami work so hard and go through so much to bring a beautiful little (my prediction) girl into the world!
Mark says, "you'll have a whole new appreciation for women by the end of pregnancy, labor, and birth"
We're so excited for you two to experience the deep joy and so much happiness that a little person can bring!
Good Luck!
Oh yeah, and don't forget to bring chapstick.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/11/2006 11:21 PM  

Good luck with the labor......Da was almost in tears when he hold Brennan after my labor. It does get emotional. I also believe Jerin will be a great papa. Wami is so sweet and will be a great mom also. We are praying from Maryland everything will be great and perfect. Enjoy the peace and quiet now before the little one comes out....can't believe you guys can wait until the last minute to find out the sex =)

Love from the East! Abbey, Da, and Brennan

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/12/2006 8:00 PM  

Good luck with everything guys! And especial good luck to figuring out a name!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2006 7:19 AM  

Jerin & Wami. I can't believe next time I see you, you will have a little one :) Maybe you already had him/her? You will for sure be the great parents! We can't wait to see sometime soon!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/24/2006 9:26 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home