Storm of the Year
Last Thursday, parts of Salt Lake and most of Davis County sustained hurricane-force winds. Gusts were well over 100 mph. Here in the Avenues, I have never been so scared that my windows were going to blow in. The kids woke up frightened in the night from all the racket. When the sun came up and I looked out the window, the view was amazing. There were leaves swirling the sky as high up as I could see. The large Christmas wreath that I had hung on top of our house was way over on our neighbor's yard. We were lucky not to have much damage. I had to repair the roof on our garage, chop up a large chunk of tree that fell down in the back, and retrieve our garbage cans. The neighbor across the street had a large tree fall on their house. Luckily, their home didn't sustain too much damage. This picture is old. Fortunately, there was no snow at the time of our storm. I only included this picture as a remembrance for our old tree.
Davis County residents had it way worse. It's been several days now, and some are just getting power back. Most have a lot more to clean up. Damages are estimated to be in the tens of millions. I think they're declaring a disaster zone up there. At least one of our ward members had to stay in a hotel for several nights.

3 comment(s):
Poor kids :( Did the storm even wake the baby?
The storm pretty much died out by the time it reached our part of the state but I know what you mean about the amazing after-the-storm weather.
I was driving down the street the next morning, and the leaves were dancing down the road. They stayed low to the ground in my area, but it looked like they were skipping and hopping around in a happy little dance.
Someone got up in testimony meeting and said they were at a meeting further north today, where church was canceled so that the congregation could go help people secure loose objects for the upcoming storm (the one tonight).
By
Esther, at
12/05/2011 1:25 AM
So how did you fare with the second storm, last night? Was it big as well?
By
Esther, at
12/05/2011 12:39 PM
The second storm didn't seem to materialize, at least in our area. That's definitely a good thing. We actually announced in church that folks ought to head home after sacrament meeting if they weren't ready for the next storm. It was a quiet day at church. Haha
By
Jerin, at
12/05/2011 11:14 PM
Post a comment
<< Home