7 Random Things
Why 7? Now that seems random. Anyway, in effort to be a good sport, here's my list in no particular order.1. I learned to do backflips and juggle in the Missionary Training Center, Provo, UT. However, on my last attempt (probably ever), I landed squarely on my face. Luckily I was on the grass. I remember getting grass stains on my front teeth and a weird scrape above my lip. I continue to juggle and do back handsprings though.
2. My experience in the MTC inspired me to quit school in California and transfer to BYU, where I continued to improve my juggling abilities. Actually, the amazing view of the mountains, the snow, and the spirit that we shared as a district and community - for that, I could sacrifice a few years of college in California to be in Provo. I would make the same decision again in a heartbeat.
3. I went to kindergarten in Germany and could even understand some German back in the day. I have vivid memories of going to class in the international school and of the apartment where we lived in Meinz.
4. Growing up, I was regarded by some as a wild-child and by others as a quiet, goodie-two-shoes. Why such a huge contrast? I think most people see me as the latter now. I must have reformed sometime during college.
5. Three traumatic memories from my early childhood:
- I got lost on the streets of Tijuana when I was 4. My dad stepped away while we were watching some street performance and the next thing I knew, I was surrounded by strangers who didn't speak English. To my horror, I was whisked away to the police station by the local police. Luckily, my dad arrived there at just the same time we did. I was afraid they were going to put me in jail.
- I almost burned the house down when I was about 7. Luckily my mom saved the day with several large bowls of water.
- Our family was held up at gunpoint in an empty church parking lot late at night. My dad had just run into the church and when he came back out, his shouting scared off the two petty theives. What did my dad decide to do? We chased them by car for several blocks. Luckily they didn't shoot.
7. I wasn't into babies until I got one of my own. Now I think they're pretty cool. Even the ones that aren't mine! I've blogged on this before, but if I were to have waited until I was "inspired" to have a baby, I might have missed something big. Having Taisei has profoundly impacted my life. So much so that I see the world in a different way. When I think of the future, the me-me-me is gone. Everything is now him-him-him. This was a gradual shift in mindset. Those of you with your own shorties know what I mean. Those with the newborn babies will find yourselves changing gradually, but profoundly.

7 comment(s):
Wow~~Jerin,
Your 7 random things really really helped me get to know you better. I have always known that you are a deep thinker, but I guess you think deeper than I thought.
You are absolutely right about the baby thing. Absolutely right.
And you know, I am glad you transferd to BYU.I am glad. You were the first friend I met at BYU.
Good old days with selective good old memories...
Well, if you don't mind, tell us more about your trip to Taiwan, would you? PLEASE~~
By
Unknown, at
6/05/2007 2:36 PM
ha....great you went to byu...also your mom saved the house. The getting lost part is really scary.I am always afraid that my kids will wonder away from me..(Brennan did that before, he has NO concept of sticking with parents). Great intersting post!
By
ZhaoKids, at
6/06/2007 10:39 AM
Wow Jerin,
This was a particularly interesting read for me because of what I didn't know about you, or how you relayed something that I also have a memory about.
I haven't really ever thought about the fact that you would remember so much more than me in Germany. I have two distinct memories that until I was older, I didn't even realize were in Germany. One, was being afraid I'd fall into the water where Mom and Dad took a picture of us sitting on a wall in front of a castle. They couldn't get me to smile but they didn't know at the time that it was because I was totally freaked out that I'd fall in and get eaten by sharks. The second was when I didn't wear a jacket one day and was really cold.
I remember the house fire incident. Flame in a garbage can in the guest bedroom right?
Also, I had no idea we were with Mom when she got held at gunpoint. I thought she was by herself.
So you've inspired me, and I'll try to make a similar list on my blog for my next post.
By
Esther, at
6/07/2007 11:42 AM
Hey Es, yeah - 3 years difference is a lot at that age! :)
Yep, you're right about the fire incident - it was the office actually, the room next to the guest room. At that time, you were probably the age that I was in Germany. I remember the hold up clearly. You were in the left rear seat as usual and I was right behind mom, staring at one of the perpetrators face.
Ok, I'll be looking forward to your post!
By
Jerin, at
6/07/2007 2:20 PM
Yep Allison, I will always remember you as my first friend there too. Didn't we meet in the basement of the Wilkenson center - next to the bulletin boards? :) The Taiwan post is coming soon!
By
Jerin, at
6/07/2007 2:21 PM
Was I there during the holdup? I can't remember ANYTHING interesting! I do remember Jerin playing with fire another time in the backyard. Later, Mom asked me if you were playing with fire. What could I say? Of course I said yes. I didn't tattle, She ASKED... but of course you got really mad at me.
Memory of Germany: nein.
Well, it's a good thing that Jerin went on a mission, and that Esther went to BYU. You don't realize how much your decisions affect others, not just your own kids. I completely relied on you guys for my own decisions back then. I think the only reason I went to BYU was because you guys were both there. I had no idea where to go to college, but thought "well hey, Jerin and Es are there. Guess I'll try it out and see how I like it." Good thing huh, or there wouldn't be any Aaron or Adele!
There were lots of decisions and things like that that came from watching YOU two!
By
Aaron and Emily, at
6/07/2007 9:03 PM
I must say I've learned something new about you today! Gunpoint? At the church? Wow.
By
Stephanie, at
6/08/2007 11:43 AM
Post a comment
<< Home