East Coast Envy
The east coast - a place I'm not going to get to live in for a while. However, even during the winter, Wami proclaimed how beautiful the east coast was. We were lucky to see the area in different ways while we were there last week.Upon arrival at Dulles Internation (IAD), we were told twice that we would have to wait on the plane for 20-40 minutes while de-icing of other planes occurred. We happened to land just barely south of a massive east-coast storm. Lots of grumbling ensued and Taisei started to get fussy. Mark had to wait for a long time before he could actually pick us up. But by the last day, I wish we had packed shorts.
The day after arriving, we headed to New York with Mark. The east is amazing. Just on the drive there, we passed through Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey - about a 4 hour drive. We parked in Newark and took a train over. Mark booked us a room in the fabulous Le Parker Meridien. Wow, definitely one of the fanciest places we've stayed.New York was freezing. Literally. A storm had passed the day before and without the howling wind, it was 20 degrees F (-5 C) at night. Snow everywhere.
We had lots of good food on this trip. I'll try not to digress too much... So back to DC. We perfectly booked our trip to coincide with Matt Huang's B-day. So we got to surprise him at his house.

After learning our lesson in Florida, I made sure to book a suite with an indoor pool. This allowed us to hang out in the living room after Taisei went to bed. It also gave us an opportunity to go swimming in the winter-time. We had the Changs over for a dip. We had the whole pool to ourselves!
Oh, did I mention that this was a business trip? Yes, I did work for a few days. Even better, L-3 paid for the car, hotel and some food. But then work ended early and we had to do something. So we went to the International Spy Museum, Iwo (Iou - the correct spelling) Jima memorial and the National Mall, where we visited the National Archives and the Capital of the United States. We hung out afterwards in old Alexandria, founded around 1700. That's pretty much as old as it gets in the US.
The next day, the party started. We had an amazing opportunity for each of my last roommates from Kensington #1 of "Condo Row" to get back together. The Kaneyukis flew up from Florida and the Tangs drove up from Richmond. As a massive caravan, we saw more of the National Mall: the Library of Congress, the Botanical Gardens, the Air and Space Museum (which doesn't seem like it's changed since I visited in 8th grade!), the White House, WWII Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Korean War Memorial, and Chinatown. I've spent too much time now to post pictures of all those places. Maybe I'll have to break down and make an online album.
Four 3-person families.
The Kaneyukis, Yus, Changs and Tangs.
The Kaneyukis, Yus, Changs and Tangs.
Asian invasion on Capitol Hill!

Before I end, I must thank the Changs for their hospitality and time. Mark spent the entire first weekend with us and Bev lovingly made meal after meal for us - even though we kept telling her not to. She threw an amazing birthday party/Asian 3rd reunion for Taisei that I will post over on his web page.
While I'm at it, I ought to whole-heartedly thank all our friends and family who always welcome us with open arms. We're blessed with incredible friends and family that love us as one of their own. You know that every one of you is welcome at any moment too, right?
Just call first, ok? ;)



13 comment(s):
Awesome trip dude. Good to see all of you together. East coast ain't that great man :)
By
david, at
3/31/2007 7:18 AM
That was a great trip, wasn't it! I only wish we could have all hung out longer. We definately have to do it again soon.
By
Anonymous, at
3/31/2007 11:22 AM
the kiddies' expressions in the pictures are priceless!
By
Anonymous, at
3/31/2007 5:56 PM
Nice group pics :) Man, your friends see your new posts fast.
By
Esther, at
3/31/2007 8:32 PM
Honestly I enjoyed having you all over! It was so nice to not have to do dishes the whole weekend! eheheh jk.
I was happy to help put the bday party together, cause Mark's sister organized Evan's and it was so nice to not have to worry about the details while we were on vacation in NY.
By
Beverly, at
3/31/2007 10:47 PM
Wow, i am just amazed looking at very familier faces ...... with kids! They are all so cute ;)
Congrats on Taisei's 1 year birthday.
By
kaori, at
3/31/2007 11:42 PM
Sounds and looks like a fun trip.
La
By
LaReen, at
4/01/2007 8:18 PM
Happy Birthday, although belated, to Taisei!!
Looks like you all had a great time, all you working travelling people! I wish we had gone to DC and NY in the winter instead of the summer. We went in the middle of a heat weave and we didn't end up seeing half the sites in NY that we had planned. We did better with DC though. I really like that city.
By
Nate and Mags, at
4/02/2007 8:17 PM
Had a lot of fun with everybody! Though next time we get Vietnamese sandwiches...no more shredded pork! :(
By
andrew, at
4/03/2007 5:53 PM
Oh, was the shredded pork no good? I purposely stayed away from it b/c I thought it would be dry. Lucky me, heheh.
Yeah, last time I was in NY, it was the muggiest, most humid place I've ever been. We definitely won't be visiting again in the late summer. And probably not in the dead of winter either, for that matter. But we would like to go back - there's so much more to see and do.
By
Jerin, at
4/03/2007 10:29 PM
Jerin, when we saw you the other night I hadn't seen the post on the NY trip, only Vegas. I love the breakfast place, Normas, at the Le Parker Meridien in NYC. It is my favorite breakfast spot in NY and I go there every time I'm in the city. I hope you ate there!! Your trip, by the way, looks SO fun.
By
Stephanie, at
4/06/2007 1:27 PM
So nice to see many of Jerin and Wami's friends get together in NYC with new baby each. How wonderful and precious the families, the friendship can be and how memorable the time spent upon these multiple families together.
Carry on!
Dad (Jerin's)
By
Anonymous, at
4/06/2007 5:00 PM
Your trip looks awesome, and it's really cool to see everyone from BYU getting together after so long and so far away from Provo :) We'll join the non-Provo group soon!
By
Jonathan & Sunny, at
4/19/2007 11:42 AM
Post a comment
<< Home