Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Report: April and May Trips

My, my, it's been busy. We've been moving about so much it's been hard to sit down and update you with what we've been up to. Here's an attempt.

San Diego: I had another business trip. But who's going to complain about going to San Diego? It was nice. It was my first time to really hang out there. Too bad I couldn't bring Wami and Taisei. The problem with these business trips is that they are often booked so late that it would cost an arm and leg for me to fly one more person. I got to walk around La Jolla by myself and see some of the ocean. It's not quite the same w/o your family tho. The highlight of the trip was a visit with Yeon-Ju, Denny, Luka, & their newest baby. Updated pictures of the Moons!


Las Vegas: Although we were just there recently, there's always something to do in Vegas, right? Taisei had a rare opportunity to see his great-grandma outside of Chicago. She was happy to meet Taisei for the first time. As usual, Taisei loved playing with his cousin Brooke.

(From left: Hiro, Wami, Taisei, Grandma Lin, Brook, Lorrine,
Cousin Frank, Uncle Paul, Jerin)

Taiwan: This trip snuck up on us. Just days after returning from Vegas, we flew out. There are so many fun things about Taiwan. Anyone who likes to go to Taiwan can tell you that the top of that list is food. Wami's already talking about how she misses the breakfasts. Wami and my dad would go out each morning to a market close to our place in Chu-pei. They would return with fresh steamed buns, soy milk (the real kind), fresh mi-jiang, chong-you-bing, and other traditional goodies to eat for breakfast. Yum! It would only cost about $5 or $6 US dollars to feed all 5 of us. Here, Taisei meets two more great-grandparents.

Grandma & Grandpa Yu

Taisei meets my cousin Christine's kids. 1st cousins?

My favorite thing to see in a new place is the nature and wildlife. This was some pretty cool wildlife not far from our pad in Chu-pei.


We also drove a crazy, windy road to the east side of the island, Hua Lian. Everytime I go to Taiwan, I'm always amazed by the hospitality of our hosts. This time, our friend Mei-Lin's mom was a super-host. She made gigantic meals for us, brought us food everyday, took us shopping, insisted on paying for gifts, hooked us up with her friend's bed and breakfast, and took us on guided tours. What a hilarious lady she was. Just like her daughter, she never stopped trying to speak silly Japanese to Wami. My favorite part of this trip was visiting Taroko National Park. We forgot our camera that day, so I still have to get those pictures from my mom's camera.

The fruits. You can't beat the fruits in Taiwan. Have you ever seen a mango? That wasn't a mango. This is a mango. It was yummy too.


Of course, we never go to Taiwan without hitting the big city Taipei. We saw my cousin, Anna -all grown up - and her family. Surprise, surprise-> Taisei likes ice cream.

(From left: Anna, Uncle Steven, Auntie Peggy,
Taisei eating mango ice cream)

We also saw Uncle Tom and his family. Two months ago, one son tragically died in a motorcycle accident just when he was cut off by a motorist casually running a red light for no reason. She was not even in a hurry.

Anyway, I digress. While visiting at their flower shop, a friend walks through the door who happens to work for Eva Airlines. She says "Oh, you want to go to Japan? I can get you an employee discount!" Wami's buddy, whom we were also visiting with, Sister Yang says "I book tickets to Japan for a profession. I can get you even cheaper tickets." So we had a change of plans. This was a dream-come-true for Wami, who was pretty disappointed to literally have flown over Japan and not get to stop by.

Japan: Here we are again, on the airplane making a 3-hour flight to Japan. A small plug for Cathay Pacific - wow, they are impressively kid friendly. All the staff make an effort to greet the babies. They also bring toys, coloring books, stickers, and a "baby kit."

Immediately after arriving in Japan, we saw the Kitanos as usual.

(Sister Naomi, Ryu, and Wami)

They are basically Wami's extended family in Osaka - the first family to welcome her in the Church when she was baptized. Then we made the 3 hour train ride to Toyama and Taisei was able to see more family and the rest of his great-grandparents except one who was available due to health issues.
Grandpa and Grandma Nitta
Part of the Nitta Clan(Clockwise from top left: Megane Uncle, Grandma Nitta, Miki, Auntie
Harue, Grandpa Nitta, Papa Nitta, Wami, Taisei, & Auntie Junko)

We made a ton of fond memories and took a lot of pictures on this trip. You'll just have to come with us next time to see what's really going on, ok?

12 comment(s):

loved the pictures!! and i am starting to see a little bit of wami in taisei coming out again. it seemed like the ages between 3/4 months and about now he was a jerinclone, but i see some wami peeking out! very exciting stuff. you guys must be exhausted from your trips. but wasn't it all so well worth it? what great memories you've made for the future. can you imagine traveling across the ocean with two or more children? i get faint just thinking about it... but it's gonna happen one of these days and we'll survive that one, too.

By Blogger Michelle, at 6/09/2007 5:42 AM  

ok so this is probably the pregnancy talking here, but "you guys went to ICE MONSTER in Taipei huh?!" I can tell just from that little bit of counter in that pic of taisei eating mango ice cream. Oh my gosh I'm so craving it now. everything there is so good. on our last trip to taiwan we were there 4 nights in a row. good cheap food is great.

By Blogger Beverly, at 6/10/2007 12:22 AM  

Haha - yeah, we went to that ice place. There was a line that went around the corner! But it was GOOOOOD.

Yeah, it's crazy how much these kids grow. I can't even remember when he wasn't mobile anymore. Everywhere we go now, he insists on getting down and running around on his own. What a headache! :)

By Blogger Jerin, at 6/10/2007 9:31 AM  

When I went to San Diego on business last year, I went alone too (no co-workers or anything) so I went and hung out at the harbor next to the airport before my flight took off, and before I had to take back my rental car. I had a good time. I started talking to a professional photographer who was preparing to take some shots of the new city line for stock photography. Pretty cool. He was just waiting for the sun to set a little bit more.

Brooke is so grown up and cute. Wow!

I really miss the breakfasts in Taiwan too. Dad, Mom, and I went out one morning, probably to where Wami and Dad went, and ate in a little garage-type place that had that food. SOO good. I wish I could find a place here that offered that (and at those prices) or at least had the recipes. My favorite was Taiwanese meatballs, which we had over by the temple.

I'm pretty sure that Cousin Christine's kids would be Taisei's second cousins, since they are both great-grandchildren to Grandma.

That mango looks good. I remember how much better everything tasted there, especially watermelons, which I normally don't even like that much. Oh, and those mountain apples that were crunchy but light. Yum.

That's cool you got to go to Japan too!

By Blogger Esther, at 6/11/2007 11:12 AM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/11/2007 9:12 PM  

Jerin, you must be acquiring a lot of frequent flyer
miles with your trips! Awesome that Wami got to touchdown in Japan too. It's cool, but wild to hear about how Japan is encouraging the fertility rate there. I wonder what the Mormon demographic is with regard to the Japanese family.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/13/2007 6:50 PM  

Jerin, do your folks live in Chu-Pei? I served there for a short time beofre my full-time mission. It was a beautiful place with nice friendly people.

By Blogger Unknown, at 6/14/2007 3:54 PM  

We're from Taoyuan (pa) & Tainan (ma) but the company's in Chu-pei now, so that's where our apartment is. Yeah, what a modern city for Taiwan's standards, huh?

By Blogger Jerin, at 6/17/2007 9:18 AM  

Sorry we couldn't catch up with you guys this last weekend as much as we wanted to - but at least we were able to read the Reader's Digest version here. Taisei is soooo cute!

By Blogger Restless Mom, at 6/17/2007 10:54 AM  

Oh, and did I mention I served in Tainan for 3 months,too? I loved it there. I remember this shaved ice shop near the sister missionaries' apartment called Jia1 Nan2 Bing1 Dian4, and we missionaries had to go there at least once a week. They had the most delicious shaved ice on earth...(How come every time I think of Taiwan I think of food?)

By Blogger Unknown, at 6/17/2007 9:19 PM  

What fun travels you've had lately! Very cool you were able to take a spur-of-the-moment trip to Japan! I love buying lots of food in Asia and then converting the cost to US dollars!

By Blogger Heckachan, at 6/22/2007 2:19 PM  

Last night I dreamt about a 30-pound mango; it was about 3 x 4 feet!!!

By Blogger Heckachan, at 6/27/2007 11:50 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home