Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Summer Fun in July

This summer's been a real scorcher - hovering around 100 degree F almost daily - but we've managing to still have some fun in the sun. Before I'm totally overwhelmed, here are some of the fun things we've done this summer in Utah.

Mom came to visit while Dad made his umpteenth business trip to Asia this year. For July 4th, yummy desserts and BBQ with the family!




Every chance we've gotten, we've headed for cooler places: higher elevation at Dog Lake (Millcreek Canyon), the water attraction at the Gateway, and shady spots in Liberty Park.



This is where I meant to propose to Wami but never made it: Red Butte Garden. We finally got to enjoy it with my mom.



We finally made it to the Tracy Aviary for the first time. I saw some birds I haven't seen since my days in Australia, such as the Rainbow Lorikeet and the Kookaburra. It was kind of sad to see birds that freely roamed Australia caged and unappreciated by the Aviary patrons.


After I took a bike ride around the Bonneville Shoreline Trail and then down the crazy Bobsled descent, Taisei insisted on helping me clean up. Needless to say, within minutes he was thoroughly soaked.


Then, we headed to Taisei's first outdoor pool and tried out his new life-jacket, a Costco special. On his own, he finished off his first popsicle by the side of the pool.



Last, but not least, that same evening we celebrated the annual Japanese Obon festival in Downtown Salt Lake City. Wami's been excited to have everyone dress up for the occasion.


12 comment(s):

Mmmmm...summer grilling! Taisei looks like he's having a ball in the water and spraying it too! Looks like a fun-packed summer for you guys!

By Blogger andrew, at 7/23/2007 6:16 AM  

Familiar looking grill Dru? That's your old one! It's a much more appropriate size for a family of 3 + a few visitors.

By Blogger Jerin, at 7/23/2007 7:47 AM  

how was the lifejacket? we recently bought and returned a bodysuit with floaties inside it because it seemed to throw off e's center of gravity and he couldn't figure out how to float with it. we are looking for a good replacement but don't know if we'll wait and go with tradition arm floaties or something more elaborate like a life vest.

By Blogger Michelle, at 7/24/2007 4:09 AM  

Yo M! We got the life jacket in case we ever get a chance to go on a boat, in which case it's required. We also have an easy handle in the back to grab him with if we ever need to. The jacket does the same thing - he doesn't float upright properly in that either and can easily roll over with his face in the water.

After thinking about your question, I think it's too early. Some kids can't even walk at 15 months. I don't think T's even close to grasping the concept of staying upright in the water. In fact, last time we swam with Evan, he was only then (at 22 mos) realizing that he had to hold his breath under the water. I'm pretty sure floaties on the arm would just means a face full of water with every movement. I'm not an expert, but I think it's probably too early to think about center of gravity.

By Blogger Jerin, at 7/24/2007 10:10 PM  

i thought that too about arm floaties, but when i recently went to a playgroup swimming activity, my friend's son was using floaties really well. he was holding his head up and even kicking somewhat. anyway, he could float around independently, so i thought it was cool. i don't know if it was just him (they'd just bought the floaties a month before and he's about 16 months), or if all babies his age can do this with floaties.

By Blogger Michelle, at 7/25/2007 6:17 AM  

Wow! I didn't know this was possible so early. I might have to go get some arm-floaties too. Do they make them for kids that young?? Let us know what you mind, M.

By Blogger Jerin, at 7/25/2007 10:30 AM  

Ahhhh....my grill! I surely miss that little guy. :( A lot of good BBQ memories in SLC!

By Blogger andrew, at 7/26/2007 5:37 AM  

that looks like so much fun. I wish I could come visit and play with you guys.

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 7/31/2007 9:16 AM  

That dessert looks delicious! It was SOOOOO GREAT seeing you and Wami and Taisei this past week! I already miss having you guys near! I'm glad you have fun and hope you make Seattle an annual visit :-) We'll make Shiro's part of that yearly visit as well!

By Blogger Heckachan, at 8/06/2007 10:40 AM  

Yay Lisa - it was awesome to hang out with you. It was like no time has passed. :) We really would love to keep going to Seattle. Shiro was yummy!

By Blogger Jerin, at 8/06/2007 10:02 PM  

Yes, it was very nice to see you and Josh! We had a great time. I want to visit Seattle again and try the salmon at Shiro's!

By Blogger Wami, at 8/07/2007 12:10 PM  

Wami, you look amazing! We have a pass to Red Butte fyi so if you guys ever want to go, let's do it together! Oh and the post about the 4th of July was amazing. Love the pictures of the gorgeous food. Well done!!

By Blogger Stephanie, at 8/16/2007 8:44 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home