Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Monday, November 26, 2007

School Pride


Non-sports fans, please allow me to indulge for one quick post. Before I share our Thanksgiving fun with you, I just want to savor this moment. On this day:
  1. BYU Football: #19 in the nation (Cal Bears - unranked)
  2. BYU Basketball: #21 in the nation (again, no Bears*)

It's been a while since BYU has been given any notice by the polls. Keep watching the basketball - these boys are the real deal.

Again, the BYU/UofU football game was a fourth quarter thriller. My dad and I had to do some last second re-arranging of our channel line-ups to get the game. I'm sure glad we did. For the second year in a row, the U came back in the 4th quarter, leaving BYU less than 1:30 seconds to drive for a win. For the second year in a row, BYU answered and won the game with a last second drive. It was worth watching, and a trip to the dog-house... j/k :)

Unlike other rivalries in the nation, this one is personal - at least here in the North. Local Ute fans can get downright hostile towards the happy-go-lucky BYU students. Is happy such a bad thing? I was once harassed at the store because I was wearing a BYU hat. And I don't mean in jest. The guy was going to hit me before I said anything. Instead of the "Holy War," it should be called "Church vs. State" as I saw it dubbed in the SL Trib. Or from my vantage point, "Blame-the -alcohol-laws-on-the-school-down-south."

* The jab at Cal is for my Cal buds who, even at the beginning of this season, refused to show respect for the MWC - yes, those same Cal buds whose basketball and football (previously #2) teams are nowhere near being ranked. The perfect finale to the season would be a Cal/BYU match-up in the Las Vegas Bowl where the MWC champs would once again spank a PAC-10 "great." I should also point out that New Mexico beat Arizona, TCU beat Stanford, Utah beat UCLA, and BYU blasted Oregon in last year's bowl.

** I admit that YES, this meaningless trash-talk will continue to be just that - meaningless - until we get rid of the BCS system and institute a real tournament.

10 comment(s):

That BYU game was awesome! I can't believe they converted that bomb on 4th down. You know the Utes' will was broken after that. GO BLUE!

Also, did you see Hawaii dominate Boise?!? Hawaii all the way to the BCS baby!

By Blogger Michelle, at 11/27/2007 6:07 PM  

You could definitely sense the Utes' deflation after that 4th and 18. That manifested in the two penalties.

Hawaii has absolutely dominated. Yeah, I really hope they get a good match-up for their bowl. They really deserve it for season after season of domination.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/27/2007 9:22 PM  

Ok, I don't like it when BYU wins anything. Not even men's volleyball. Just can't stand those consistently successful programs....

You're right on one thing, though. The BCS system needs to go. I mean, what in the world is keeping the BCS alive? Tostitos? The whole Bowl idea should have jumped the shark a few years back when they started handing out co-champion trophies.

Fundamentally, there is really something wrong when Hawaii goes 12-0 and hits a roadblock at a BCS #11 ranking.

By Blogger Adam ....with Nicole and Rainny, at 11/28/2007 8:33 AM  

There's plenty of things fundamentally wrong with the BCS. But the BCS conferences aren't BCS just because their teams are better. Look at Northwestern, part of the Big 10. The last bowl game they won was in 1949! Yet they probably have a better chance of a "national championship" than MWC or WAC teams because they're part of the Big 10. College sports shouldn't be about money. Lucrative match-ups for big bowls, etc. But I think nothings going to change unless someone can figure out a way to make even more money than the way it is now.

By Blogger Jerin, at 11/28/2007 8:51 AM  

Awesome game indeed! Hall/Collie 4th down bomb, Unga up the middle, Hall/Collie 2-pt conversion...all within 2 minutes...EXCELLENT!

Now if only we could find a better channel to broadcast our games. Versus was TERRIBLE. Terrible camera (bad color, grainy image), terrible angles, the cameraman "lost" the ball several times, and the banter was just awful. Right after the game we switched over to watch the UK/Tennessee game in HD...it was so clear and crisp...it was almost depressing.

By Blogger andrew, at 11/28/2007 2:34 PM  

CSTV wasn't much better. I wonder if it was the same broadcast, although I didn't mind the banter I heard. The cameraman lost the ball several times and several plays were at least partially missed because the sideline reporter was doing interviews!

By Blogger Jerin, at 11/28/2007 3:27 PM  

This post makes me feel like a woman.

Go blue!(cheering with my feminine voice)

Your BYU friend, Allison

By Blogger Unknown, at 11/28/2007 9:05 PM  

BYU Football's now ranked number 17 in the BCS rankings. Basketball is ranked number 20.

We're playing (basketball) number 9 Michigan State this Saturday. Go Cougs!

By Blogger Jerin, at 12/04/2007 9:48 PM  

Jerin - Love the trash talking. Keep it up! I (my wife) started a blog over the weekend. Check it out: feliciaandryan.blogspot.com.
Let's get together and play some B-Ball!

-Ryan DuBois

By Blogger Felicia, at 12/10/2007 6:43 PM  

Somehow I missed this post earlier. So, though belated, I must comment. The Utes lead the all time series 53-33-4

By Blogger Jens, at 1/14/2008 5:56 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home