Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Thursday, January 03, 2013

End of 2012 Kids Update

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you.  If you are reading this, thank you for still coming around to read.  I'm infrequent and don't get around to reading many other blogs these days myself.  Leave a comment and let us know that we should post more frequently.  :-)

We're always sad when the Christmas season ends.  This year, a sudden change in our favorite Christmas music station surprised us.  106.5 fm suddenly started playing classic rock like 1 week before Christmas. What the heck?  No announcement, nothing.  It was disappointing because this year was a first for Taisei.  He started singing!  We have no idea what happened, but suddenly he was on key and knew a lot of lyrics.  We still don't know if it was friends from primary or influence from his 1st grade class.  I think it was probably more the latter.  But suddenly, he could sing practically every Christmas song that came on the radio.  He knew way more lyrics than I know.  What the...?  He sang full blast on stage for our ward's Christmas sacrament presentation.  This is an interesting but nice development for our normally reserved and shy boy.


Also, Taisei's reading seems to be taking off.  Although I know there are still many others that are way ahead, like Amy at church who's nearly a year younger and sits in a corner reading young adult novels.  Taisei has read his first few non-picture books.  He's read three or four of the "Nate the Great" books.


This year was an interesting Christmas for Taisei.  He wasn't sure if he should believe in Santa or not.  He was pretty sure he didn't believe it, especially since he hadn't seen a single convincing Santa AND we don't have a chimney.  He even went so far as to starting to convince his friends at school that there's no such thing as Santa.  That made us sad and we had to tell him not to ruin other kids' dreams.  But a funny thing happened.  Mirei absolutely has NO doubt whatsoever that Santa would be coming and bringing her gifts.  She did ask about the lack of a chimney, but there was no doubt in her mind.  We would be leaving out cookies and milk for Santa.  Here there are doing that.


Taisei wanted to make sure Santa didn't miss any of the plates we put out, so here is his note to Santa.

All quiet on Christmas Eve.


Here are Mirei's latest vitals from her 3 year old appointment:  28.2 lbs (25%) and 36" (25%).  The good news is that she's proportional.  ;-)

Mirei really pays attention to what's going on.  She's always listening to what we're talking about, even if she's busy drawing or doing her own things.  In her once-a-week Japanese daycare, she told teachers about papa.  She told them I drove to the airport, and took the airplane to go somewhere.  For drawing that day, she drew this (airplane on the upper left):




This is papa looking like a koala.  haha

The big one is Mirei.  The little one is papa.  She loves her papa.  ;)



Here are two from Taisei.  A snake thing:

And I really think all boys draw death and destruction at one point or another. Not sure why, but he just did this the other day.  I think he must have seen some commercial or cartoon on TV.

Leina's vitals at 1 year:  17.2 lbs (3%), 28.5" height (30%), and head circumference of 45 cm (50%).

Leina's not a baby anymore.  She's officially a toddler now, clearly with wants and dislikes.  Something she's been doing lately is grabbing mama's face and turning it towards whatever it is she wants.  Today she wanted a drink out of her bottle, so she pushed mama's face to the side towards the bottle and grunted her famous "maa maa!"  We used to think "maa maa" meant "mama", but it really means "I want that!"

Also, the sister competition has begun - a little earlier than we expected.  Leina's 1 year and 1 month.  Today she was sitting on Wami's lap and Mirei immediately came over to take a seat as well, right next to Leina.  Leina did not like that.  She started yelling and pushing Mirei away with two hands.  Another time today, Leina saw Mirei sit down on mama's lap.  Right away she came over and wanted a spot too.  The big competitions right now definitely seem to be over parents' attention.  Mirei has always wanted to get up into my arms when I'm holding Leina.  Now, Leina's starting to do it too.  I remember when Mirei felt like a feather compared to Taisei.  Now, Mirei feels like a rock compared to Leina!  It's going to be some rough times for the next year as Mirei adjusts to a newly sprouting sister (not a baby anymore!) and mama and papa trying to maintain peace around the house.  Taisei usually just ignores what's going on.  haha

Here are some other things about Leina:
  • I told her to bring a box to mama in kitchen and she did it.  She's definitely listening.
  • The other day, she brought panties to Mirei when she knew Mirei was going potty.
  • She seems to want to talk and uses the same inflections.  She just doesn't seem to be pronouncing many sounds yet.  She communication mostly with grunts, pants, and "maa maa!"
  • She loves to be chased, especially by Taisei.  She goes crazy laughing, running, and looking back.
  • She's very interested in food, and wants to eat whatever we're eating.  But it seems like she's a bit picky.  He she is going bonkers on chicken at... yes, Chuck-a-rama.  We don't like the place, but it's easy for the kids, relatively inexpensive, and I don't have to worry about the mess.  I can't wait until we don't have to come here, but for now, it's easy.
  • She comes down the stairs herself.  It's funny how cautious she is.  She gets down face first on her tummy like 2 feet away from the stairs, and then crawls backwards until she gets to the first stair.  She starts so far though, we always wonder what she's doing when she suddenly gets down on her belly and starts scooting backwards.  Funny stuff.
  • She likes to climb into the sink in the bathroom.  She discovered that she can climb up the kid's stool (it's a big step from the stool to the bathroom countertop) and several times we discovered her sitting in the sink with the water on.  Yikes!  Edit:  We just caught her climbing in.  We didn't realize it's such a precarious climb onto the counter.  She could easily fall back and bonk her head on the tile!  (Edit to the edit: Uh oh, just now as I was typing this, apparently she climbed up again, climbed over to the light switch, and fell to the ground...!  She seems to be OK though.)


  • Leina loves tubes - toothpaste, wasabi, lotion, whatever. She plays with them, sucks them, rolls them around and generally likes to go after any tube in the bathroom, fridge, etc.  Strange fetish.  haha
And that's about it for now.  Here are the kids opening gifts from the Seversons and the Yeye and Nana.  They love their pillow pets and games.




4 comment(s):

Great post! I was impressed when Taisei leaned over me a few days ago and read aloud the package that I was holding. I have been able to see him improve each time I visit. He is doing a great job.

Both the children are talented artists, too - a lot of detail for their ages. I am enjoying seeing some Yu family traits manifest in them.

That is interesting to see how Taisei and Mirei handle their thinking on Santa Claus - so cute!

Uh-oh - good luck with Mirei and Leina fighting over their parents. Yes, Taisei has handled it very well. I am impressed. He is a good big brother.

That's funny and crazy that Leina not only climbs into the sink, but actually turns it on. This last visit was the most I've seen her cruising around; it's been fun to see her personality really coming out.

By Blogger Esther, at 1/04/2013 1:54 PM  

Whoa, i want to hear Taisei sing! Good "kid" chapter books would be a great thing to recommend to us. I have only been able to get Adele to willingly read fantasy. And they have to be VERY easy. It's a struggle to find something that interests her and is easy enough for her to read.

Ha, Adele accidently gave Santa away in preschool, I got in trouble with another mom! I had to tell her to keep her knowledge to herself. I am pretty sure Samuel thinks he's real, but he's much more enamoured with Snowmen.

Good drawings! I love how big Mirei drew herself! She is such a riot. She reminds me of Adele about the paying attention part... I can't slip much past her.

I can't believe Leina is so big. I remember Adele seeming like a toddler at age 1, but Ezra still seemed like a baby at age 2. Strange how different they are. Boy competitions are different than girl ones. They only fight over Aaron's piggy back rides. But they ALL want one, even Adele. Impressive that Leina brought the panties to Mirei! Better cautious than crazy, right? I remember Ezra turning around right at the edge of the top of the stairs and it would always scare me! Has she sucked on a tube of wasabi yet? (Aaron let Ezra do that).

Keep posting!!!

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 1/04/2013 8:55 PM  

I forgot to mention that Leina has already fallen down the stairs. That was kind of my fault though. I put pajamas on here that were too big and she always likes to stand way too close to the edge of the stairs. That time, she was walking by, tripped and went backwards down. I actually was right there and chased her down as fast as I could. She was within arms reach the whole tumble, but just going fast enough that if I grabbed her, I would have went head over heads. She crashed into some stuff we had piled up at the bottom and I messed up several toes. But she was fine - just a looked shook up and a hurt ego. haha

By Blogger Jerin, at 1/04/2013 9:26 PM  

Jerin, I just read your last comment. Yikes. I remember you caught Taisei went he went flying once, but that time, you were at the bottom of the stairs. Probably a good idea to have stuff against the wall in case that happens again ... soft stuff. We should ask Dad and Mom if any of us ever fell down any stairs ...

By Blogger Esther, at 4/26/2013 10:39 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home