Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Monday, August 06, 2012

Jury Duty

As if I haven't been away from work enough this summer, I just got summoned to Jury Duty!  In all my life, every time I had been summoned so far, I was either away at school in California, on my mission, or away at BYU.  Now because either I have a Utah Drivers license, or I pay taxes in the state of Utah, I finally got summoned and have the ability to go.  Last Monday was my first day.  All they did was have us fill out a survey.  I flew through that puppy.  Although I wasn't in a hurry, I was the first to finish.  I didn't add any more detail than the thing asked for.  It asked for mostly stuff like "do you know anyone from this list of persons..." or "have you heard of this case...".

Today was my second day back - a week from last Monday.  After we got instructions in a first room, they then took us up to the courtroom, where the Judge presided.  At first, they asked a series of question, and it seemed to me that everyone was strategically placed.  The first row seemed to stand up in the affirmative for most of the questions.  After that, we sat down and waited for them to call our names.  It was worse than an airplane flight.  We sat in a pew for over 3 hours!  There were about 6 or 7 rows of 10 people each and they probably called about 10 people in for questioning in the back room.  They never called me and I wasn't in that first row, so I figured I was ruled out just for being one of those annoying engineers.  (At work, there are a million stories about how engineers always get passed over.)  I was feeling pretty good.

Finally, they told us there were ready and called out the names.  I was the third person called.  I was shocked.  So for the rest of this case, I get to learn about the "process" and do my civic duty.  I'll be hanging out here:


 It should be interesting.

2 comment(s):

That is interesting how they fooled you into thinking that you were not on the list. I wonder if they were taking an extra long time on people they thought wouldn't be a good fit, that they thought might work out? I can't believe you had to sit in the pews for three hours though. Crazy. Hopefully you had stuff to do while you were sitting there. I remember a high school history teacher being summoned to jury duty and excited to tell us all about how he was part of the process. His case was an old lady shoplifting by cutting the bottom out of a box, bringing the box into department stores, putting the box over items she wanted, and then walking out with them.

By Blogger Esther, at 8/07/2012 9:28 AM  

Sure hope it isn't a long case... we want to hang out with you next week!

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 8/07/2012 7:37 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home