Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Summer Fun 2012 - part II

Alright, now that I'm done with jury duty and am trying to get back into the flow, let's get back to a recap of summer.  From Toyama, we flew directly to Taoyuan, Taiwan, my dad's hometown and also the location of Taiwan's biggest airport.



Taiwan is always such a big contrast from Japan for me.  It's not necessarily because of the countries' differences.  For example, in Japan, we usually have a nice, consistent schedule.  We have a similar daily routine, we plan ahead and know what we want to do.  In Taiwan, it's the opposite.  Everyday is a whirlwind and we have no idea what comes next.  We generally don't have enough time to see everyone and do everything we want to do.  Part of that is because we don't go very often and so everyone wants to get a piece of us when we're there.  Also, the Yu and Lin family is spread all over the island and we don't really have an easy means of transportation.  Another factor is that neither Wami nor I have really live in Taiwan, so we do have to rely on others to take us around somewhat.

One of the things I was excited about is that I've never been to Taiwan in the summer.  Yes, I was scared to death of the heat, but excited about the fruits.  Mangoes were everywhere!!  Oh man, they were so sweet.  The kids devoured them.

Again, here are the things that Taisei most enjoyed.  Mango ice!  So goooood.
This is from Mango Cha-cha.


This is from a different place.  Not quite as good - a little too sweet.

I have to add that in general, food is most people's top reason for going to Taiwan.  Good food everywhere, including at home by the maid.

Here's Grandpa Grandma's place - our Sunday family lunch.  Yum!


More food:

A spot next to the Taipei temple.  They give you free bananas after the meal.  Funny.



My aunt let Taisei and Mirei play as many games as they wanted at the Night market.  It cost a fortune to play this way.  :(  That was one of Taisei's favorite memories.  


Here's Taisei with my youngest Yu cousin, Anna.


We took a vacation out to the country side where my dad booked one night at a "hot spring hotel".  This was also one of Taisei's favorite memories.  Definitely one of mine as well.  This town is called Yilan, Jiaoxi (宜蘭縣 , 礁溪).  Here's the hotel.




Taisei's most favorite thing was when we borrowed bikes from the hotel and rode around the area.


Another memory he had was of finding one of these beetles on a hike in the mountains.  He had been wanting one the whole time he was in Japan.  Too bad we couldn't keep it.



Wow, turns out we have a lot of pictures from Taiwan, so I'm going to take a break.  More next time!


5 comment(s):

I like that you are highlighting Taisei's favorite moments.

I can see how you would have a structured program in Japan and hectic schedule in Taiwan; funny, though probably a little tough on kids.

Oh, I still remember this little "Taiwanese meatball" place Mom was excited to take me to when I was there ... SO GOOD and I haven't been able to find anything like it since.

That is super nice of Auntie to let the kids play games, especially Taisei enjoyed it so much.

That is one crazy bug.

The hot spring hotel looks really cool. Wow. Is it just the picture or are the beds super wide?

I was so excited to see this post and be able to read about your trip some more. Thanks for sharing!

By Blogger Esther, at 8/11/2012 1:50 PM  

I used the super wide angle lens to squeeze everything in, but they are in fact King-sized bed. Even in all my travels elsewhere, it's not that common to see, especially two of them, in one hotel. Plus, you'll notice there's sleeping area next to the big poster window as well. All the kids fought to sleep there, but Mom and baby won out. haha.

Food is a major part of the culture's entertainment there. Every time I go, someone has thought up some new way to entertain the population with an innovative food idea. The mango ice this time was way more elaborate than in the past. Also, it's not just mango ice anymore. If you look carefully, you'll noticed that the ice is more of a fluffy style. It's super soft. They call it "snow" as opposed to the traditional "ice". I have no idea how they make it.

By Blogger Jerin, at 8/11/2012 10:20 PM  

Wow, that is a sweet place. I didn't notice the sleeping area. I can't believe they found a way to make the ice dessert more elaborate. I still like it the way we had it as kids, with condensed milk.

By Blogger Esther, at 8/12/2012 9:02 PM  

Taiwan absolutely has the best food... if only you could have stayed longer! Next time you need to try to come to Australia!

By Blogger Unknown, at 8/19/2012 5:50 AM  

Hey, where's Summer Fun, Part III?

By Blogger Esther, at 9/06/2012 3:38 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home