Summer Catch-up: Part 1
Chicago in JulyI had a rare business trip to my sister city Chicago. I call it that because all of my family lives in either the Bay Area, where I'm from, or Chicago, where all of my Mom's family that immigrated lives. (Now just a few of us have branched out to Utah and Nevada.) I rarely get to go to Chicago, especially for work, so I couldn't resist taking everyone along. While we were there, I got to see my mom's oldest sister, her brother and her mom - Taisei's Great-grandma, who is closing in on 90 now. The timing was perfect - even my mom could be in town to hang out with us. My uncle's a taxi driver, so we got a semi-professional tour guide and free rides everywhere in the city.
A shot from our night cruise. Timing couldn't have been more perfect and my mom was there to help babysit for the evening.

We also got to see members of our distant family, who moved there a year ago. Taisei had a blast with his distant cousins. Here we are on the Navy Pier right after dinner in the famous Billy Goat Tavern. Taisei was so mad that I got him a grilled cheese instead of a burger like everyone else. So I went and got him his burger and he ate the whole thing! Miracles do happen from time to time.
Annie and Nathan were super tour guides. They took us to the Aquarium, the zoo, the pier, and on a boat ride. Thanks guys! Taisei's loving the popsicle that Auntie Annie bought for everyone.
Lastly, we got to run into Mari, Derek and Collin for the second time this summer. But we forgot to take pictures! Taisei and Collin finally met and had a great time running around my Aunt's house together. It was a little scary since my Aunt's house is more like a museum than a playground.Sometime after our trip to Chicago, we got a rare opportunity to go to the movies. We especially wanted to see "The Dark Knight" because we heard it was filmed in Chicago.
And before it gets too late, I will stop here and hopefully not have to add too many more parts before we're all caught up. We hope you're all having a wonderful summer!

7 comment(s):
That sounds like a super fun trip. I've been wanting to see that bean in person every since I first heard about it. I even told Mom to go see it the last time she was there. I was surprised and jealous when I saw it on your blog just now.
By
Esther, at
8/27/2008 5:52 PM
How fun! Wish I could've come, it's fun to be in Chicago. I have double family there, with Aaron's brother living there too.
By
Aaron and Emily, at
8/28/2008 2:31 PM
Too bad we weren't still in the Midwest. We could have seen you guys. Anyways, Chicago is alot of fun. Looks like you guys enjoyed it.
By
Winnie, at
8/28/2008 5:19 PM
Looks like you guys visited a lot of cool places in Chicago! What a fun summer business trip, Jerin!
Wami and Taisei are so lucky that they get to travel with you a lot! Hmm...that makes me wonder who was dogsitting Hiro when you guys were gone...hahaha! :p
It was so funny that Taisei got mad because you didn't order him a burger...I guess it's true that the older the kids get, the more opinions they have...heehee : )
By
Nicole, at
8/29/2008 12:14 AM
get in all the traveling you can with one kid because even the idea of traveling with two makes me feel all yucky inside. maybe you guys will be braver than i am. i think the next time we take an airplane trip we might leave elias with my parents. we'll see. i know people with multiple kids can still travel, but i haven't wrapped my head around it yet. so wussy.
also, taisei looks so much older and is getting cuter and cuter all the time. what a handsome boy!
By
Michelle, at
8/29/2008 3:06 PM
Nice pics Jerin. My brother in Michigan keeps telling me to come up and visit Chicago soon. Looks like you had a lot of fun!
By
Anonymous, at
9/03/2008 12:00 PM
Glad you had a nice time. Chicago is awesome!
By
Anonymous, at
9/12/2008 7:16 PM
Post a comment
<< Home