Megapost on Japan: Part 3
Day eight, nine and ten -cont'd (Fri - Sun) - Hello countryside!:Upon boarding the high-speed "Thunderbird Express," we embarked for the last leg of our vacation. After the long trip back to Osaka, we got on a local train and literally took it to the end of the line - a place called Tamba Sasayama (丹波篠山). As the crow flies, it's about 40 miles north-west of Osaka.

The moment we got off the train, I was in awe. The roads were wide and not at all full of cars. Every direction I looked were hills and mountains full of thick, green foliage. I felt like I had jumped into the land of Totoro (one of my favorite movies).

This college buddy of Wami's married a classmate who decided to leave the high life so he could pursue his dream to become a renowned potter.
Overall, it seemed like living in a dream. The house backed right up against the mountains. They often had monkeys and all kinds of wild animals wander down into their yard. We hiked right up into the hills from the backyard.
I greatly enjoyed being so close to wild, but still having the comforts of a country-style Japanese home.
The day we left was a day I'd rather forget. Of course, there was the fact that we didn't want to come home. But to make matters worse, we had a very long trip to get back. Basically, this was it: 1 hour by train back to Osaka, more trains to Kansai Airport, the 10 hour flight back to SF, a 3 hour layover, 2 hours back to Salt Lake, 1 hour to pick up Hiro and finally get home. Altogether, we were traveling for something just under 24 hours. And then, I only slept briefly that evening and ended up at work just 5 hours after getting back home. My recommendation for next time would be to stay home and veg, even if you can't sleep. It was miserable day at work.
One good part of the trip home: we got to sneak out of the airport to see the family. There was one brand new member I hadn't met yet - baby Samuel! Overall, the trip was awesome and well worth a painful trip home.

6 comment(s):
Japan is such a beautiful country, Jerin. I am glad that you have a little piece of heaven on earth to call home. Thanks for the megapost, I really enjoyed reading about your trip.
By
Unknown, at
5/07/2008 9:30 AM
Thanks for posting all this cool stuff. It's been fun to read. That's a great family pic at the end, too.
By
Esther, at
5/07/2008 11:09 PM
Hey Jerin, you have now made me really want to visit Japan.
Yeah Tyler is doing well. Although I've been a terrible host/tour guide. I have been terribly busy with uni and work, and surviving on 5hrs sleep every night... But yeah hopefully madness will be over within 2 months.
By
Unknown, at
5/08/2008 5:58 PM
i like how taisei is waving in the last picture
By
Aaron and Emily, at
5/08/2008 7:12 PM
it is my dream to live in a place like this... soooo lovely.
By
Michelle, at
5/12/2008 7:34 AM
Wow, this post is out of a dream! A beautiful wood home next to the forest? Pottery? What a fantastic place to visit. Truly magical. Good for them!
By
Stephanie, at
6/13/2008 8:08 PM
Post a comment
<< Home