Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Megapost on Japan: Part 1

We're back from Japan and everyone's finally recovered from jet lag. We had a blast. Wami and Taisei arrived there before me, so I'll give you my version of the trip.

Day one (Thu/Fri) - Leg 1 of the voyage there: The 11 hour flight (not including 2 hrs to SF + 4 hour layover) was WAY boring. I am inevitably stuck between the window and someone that should have purchased two seats. I could not move. There's no wonder my back spasm'ed shortly after arrival. Considering the alternative, I think I still would have rather been chasing and trying to entertain a restless 2-year-old than claustrophobia for so many straight hours. Anyway, I arrived in Osaka in one piece. Lucky for me, Wami sent our family friend Naomi to pick me up from the airport. I was wiped out and hit the sack early after an amazing home-cooked Japanese meal at Naomi's place.

Day two (Sat) - Leg 2 of the voyage there: I posted the previous post on this day. Luckily, Naomi and company hooked me all up at the train station, otherwise I would have been totally lost. From Osaka to Toyama, it was a three hour ride by Thunderbird Express - one step down from the bullet train. This picture is my actual train. This is the "butt" of the train, even though it was the front of my train on the way there. On the way back, it goes the other way and has a way cooler looking "head." The trip was boring like the plane, but very, VERY spacious in comparison. And they had happy, go-lucky girls walking up and down selling refreshments.

It was a happy reunion with the family. I was happy to find that Taisei really missed his daddy. :) He actually looked and acted older to me after just a few weeks of separation. He definitely spoke a lot more Japanese, for surpassing the vocabulary that I acquired in Japanese 101 and 102!

I was still queasy from all the travel so I hit the sack at the same time as Taisei, around 8:30 pm. What's crazy is that throughout the trip, I went to bed at the same time as Taisei and woke up at the same time as him. I pretty much slept 10+ hours per night, every night that I was there! The bad thing was the co-sleeping would prove to be a big problem once we returned.

Day three (Sun) - Wedding Day: Wami's cousin Eri's big wedding day - this was our reason for going. I found out that weddings are a pretty huge occasion in Japan. The accompanying traditions run deep. From my standpoint, it cost a lot of money for all parties involved. The women all need to have their kimonos and hairdos professionally done. It's quite a sight. Most guys have it lucky, just wearing a suit. Here are two of Wami's cousins:


I'm a little hazy about the order of things now. We first gathered in a tea ceremony room where families of the bride and groom sat on opposing sides. It was weird to be in that room as one of the privileged, when many of the friends had to wait outside because they weren't related. I had to leave because Taisei couldn't hold still. After the introductions and some kind of ceremony that I missed, things moved outside to a well. I believe the couple drank some water. Following that, the procession of about 100 people walked over to the temple. I had no idea what was going on, but I found out that a nice, big, professional looking camera let's you get away with wandering around and taking pictures.


Following the temple ceremony, we went into another temple-like room and ceremonial stuff took place. That's a pretty pathetic explanation. :D The couple drank sake and some chanting happened. Later, everyone was served a little sake, reminiscent of communion or sacrament. Of course, we didn't have any, though Taisei did want some. After that the traditional rituals were over. We moved into a big studio, conveniently built into an adjacent room and took pictures.

Next, we caravaned over to a nice hotel for the afternoon reception. Whoever chose the music and MC'd the reception was hilarious. There was Abba ("dancing queen") and all kinds of party music going for each costume presentation, cake cutting, etc. The food was scrumptious and Taisei even got a kid's meal.

One funny thing during the reception: We thought that Taisei had lost his cumberbund. We looked all over for it. Later, we also thought that Taisei had done a number two, because he was acting funny. When we went to change him, it turned out that the cumberbund had slipped down into his pants and wrapped around his legs, making him walk funny. It must have been there for hours!


The couple finished off the wedding with a performance by his band. Needless to say, this was my favorite part of the wedding... alongside the food. I think the groom enjoyed this the most too.


Day four (Mon) - "An-chan day": After all the wedding stress, it was finally time to play. We woke up to a pretty nice earthquake at 7:30. It lasted probably 10-15 seconds. I would've guessed it was in the 5's on the Richter, but I never saw it on the news. Every Californian becomes a human Richter scale after a few years. Anyway, we got to take pictures w/ Wami's grandma in the morning.



We had a nice day at the zoo with Wami's dad, "An-chan." (Grandparents these days will think of anything to avoid being called Grandpa/grandma. This goes for all 4 of Taisei's grandparents. haha!) On the side, I thought this representation of Taisei as a monkey was quite accurate.

Taisei would rather push than sit in the stroller.

An-chan bought Taisei his first ice cream cone.
He usually likes the petting zoo.

Anchan works so hard, it's difficult to get his time. But we always have a great time hanging out with Anchan.

Well, I'm only on the 4th day, so I'm going to have to take a break. There are so many more pictures to post and things to talk about. I'll post this so you have at least the first part of a novel to read. Matane!

17 comment(s):

Yes, first one to comment! This is great post, Wami is soooo pretty with that Kimono. Of course, Taisei was cute with a little tux, too! Where were you, though??? I did not see you on this blog. Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

By Blogger kaori, at 4/11/2008 5:00 PM  

oh i agree wami looks gorgeous in her kimono. and i laughed seeing taisei pushing his stroller. elias loves to do that, too. kids are so weird! congratulations on a wonderful megapost.

By Blogger Michelle, at 4/12/2008 3:12 AM  

p.s. the investment of that camera was definitely worth it for this trip. your pictures are awesome.

By Blogger Michelle, at 4/12/2008 3:13 AM  

I love this Megapost on Japan, Jerin. I wish Roy and I had had a Japanese wedding so I could have had the opportunity to dress like a princess :p

Wami looked so beautiful in her Kimono, and Taisei was so handsome!

Cannot wait to read more about the rest of the trip!

By Blogger Unknown, at 4/12/2008 7:54 PM  

Hey, I didn't know you guys went to Japan. How fun!!! It was such a cool Japanese wedding that Wami's cousin had. Wami looks sooo pretty in her kimono and Taisei does look bigger and more mature every time I see him in the new pictures you put on your blog.

We saw your dad today at the General Conference in the new church building in Chu Bei. We got to talk to him a little bit and he told us you're going to start your MBA soon. That's really good! You know, Adam is going to start his MBA here in Taiwan at National Chiao Tung University. I guess we're gonna be in Taiwan for a few years.

We're going back to Utah on the 21st of April. We'll definitely come visit you guys and hang out! : )

Happy late birthday to Taisei! I know he was born on March 29th, but just didn't have a chance to wish him a happy birthday.

By Blogger Nicole, at 4/13/2008 9:47 AM  

Wow, what a beautiful wedding and I love the dresses.

By Blogger Tom, Pauline, and Jacob, at 4/13/2008 9:36 PM  

Wow Wami! You look SO PRETTY! I really hope when we move to JP that we'll meet someone that's gettin hitched so I can have a reason to try on a kimono! ;) If its professionally done, is that your own kimono or is it a rental like men's suits are?
I'm really loving your pics Jerin! I think you've got a good eye for composition in a pic. What size lens are you using?
You guys were in an earthquake, and it was no big deal?! I understand it happens a lot, in JP and CA, and people get used to them. I've only been in one, but I was driving at the time didn't feel it. I'm gonna totally freak out and have a heart attack at even a 3!
Anyway, great post!

By Blogger Beverly, at 4/13/2008 10:19 PM  

Ha, that's funny you were on the same bed-time schedule as Taisei while in Japan. I liked seeing all the wedding pictures. Wami and her family look amazing in their traditional clothing and that cool hair. Did you take pictures of the back of it?

The cumberbund story was funny. Poor kid. That reminds me of when my friend put her son in wranglers and cowboy boots when he was two, and he couldn't bend his knees in the stiff jeans.

'Looking forward to the next Japan post ...

By Blogger Esther, at 4/13/2008 11:31 PM  

Awesome post Jerin, except for part of the explanations...
"Following the temple ceremony, we went into another temple-like room and ceremonial stuff took place." Ha, I laughed out loud when I read that one.

Kuei has been to Japan, but I've only just seen it from the air. One of these days we'll have to land!

Looks like you upgraded your camera, nice work. Wami and Taisei look great too.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/14/2008 11:38 AM  

Wow, Wami look so beautiful in her Kimono!! So that was her cousin's wedding, huh. I attended my brother's wedding last year but didn't wear Kimono like Wami. Well, on top of it, I even forgot to wear any makeup. Looking at Wami's pictures, I feel so ghetto now.... Oh, well.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/14/2008 8:25 PM  

Wow, thanks for all the comments! One disadvantage of becoming the primary photographer is that you disappear from all the photos. Also, SLRs are simply too complicated to hand to just anyone unless you set it up first.

Bev, a fast 55mm, most of the time. I don't think most people would even notice a quake less than a 4 or 5.

Nicole, so funny that you see my parents so much! Good luck to Adam. An MBA in Chinese - wow! We're excited to see you!

Es, that's funny. Wami specifically asked me to take pics of the back. I'll try to post all the pics on picasa.

Everyone should take a trip to Japan - it's such a unique and modern place. Wait 'til you see the places we went in part II. :)

By Blogger Jerin, at 4/15/2008 5:14 PM  

Can we come next time you guys are in Japan? We're hoping Nate's uncle (JAG) gets the transfer to Japan next year. Then for sure we'll visit.
I love the red colors in the photos - Wami looks so good in her kimono and Taisei too. And I've been very impressed with all this new photography skills that all my friends seem to have but me. Those are some pretty shots Jerin - especially the one of the wedding line taken from the back, with the cherry blossoms sticking out.

And thanks for answering my questions about the ira. I finally did it.

By Blogger Nate and Mags, at 4/15/2008 6:29 PM  

Wow, Wami's cousin really had a traditional Japanese weeding. I mean a lot of people theses days skips a lot of things. You know short cut. hahaha. I am looking forward to hear more about Japan.

By Blogger Fuku_chan, at 4/15/2008 7:04 PM  

I didn't realize that some people did more modern weddings. I've only been to 2 and both were like this.

Yes, everyone meet us in Japan next time! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/15/2008 8:21 PM  

Wami, you are so beautiful! And Taisei is so adorable in his tux. I love that cumerbun story.

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 4/17/2008 4:25 PM  

Thank you for all your comments about me in the kimono.

This is a kimono my parents gave me. Bev, you should try one when you have a chance in Japan. There are photo studios which rent kimonos, help you to wear it, and sometimes do make-up and hair. I'm sure you would look beautiful in a Kimono :)

By Blogger Wami, at 4/17/2008 6:38 PM  

well i'm glad that you guys had a great time in japan! that is a mega post..i need to read part #2. yes i agree with everyone's comments - wami: you look beautiful in the kimono, Jerin: good job with the pics, and Taisei's cumberbund story is sure to become a funny childhood memory.

Jerin - good luck with starting the MBA!

By Blogger grace, at 4/22/2008 3:12 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home