Golden Spike Anniversary
Our friend, Randy, pointed this article in the Deseret News out to me the other day. It talks about the migrant Chinese workers that built a lot of the original transcontinental railroad. Look - we're famous:PROMONTORY, Box Elder County — Taisei Yu was doing what all 2-year-olds do on railroad tracks at the Golden Spike National Historic Site: He was walking the ties.He'd step up on a tie, step over it, step down on the rocks, then up on the next tie, and down. Over and over and over, tiny legs carefully reaching up and stepping down.
Taisei, who was wearing a "Li'l Slugger" T-shirt, didn't know it, but he was playing in the footsteps of thousands of Chinese who may not have been his direct ancestors but who share a common cultural background and who built the railroad, on which he was walking. Read more...
Published: Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:03 a.m. MDT
Here is a picture that includes the two bus loads of Chinese (plus one and a half Japanese).

6 comment(s):
So cool! What a great picture.
By
Esther, at
6/13/2008 3:50 PM
wow, I have a famouse freind.
By
Fuku_chan, at
6/15/2008 7:26 PM
This is historical! I am sure when Taisei grows up, he will really appreciate this newspaper article and what it means to him personally.
By
Unknown, at
6/16/2008 10:18 AM
Very fascinating! So are you guys still coming sometime?
By
Nate and Mags, at
6/18/2008 5:22 PM
It's been a while since I checked up on you guys! Nice blogs! Great pictures and stories. :-)
By
LaReen, at
6/24/2008 1:19 AM
No way Jerin! You have a bike as well. Yeah we definitely have to go riding sometime! Although I have to make sure that I can actually ride first... the whole stalling when I first jump on is still slightly embarrassing.
By
Unknown, at
7/03/2008 3:55 PM
Post a comment
<< Home