Megapost on Japan: Part 2
Thanks to your encouragement, I feel inspired enough to try and finish up the Japan megapost.Note below that I'm sitting in the passenger seat, hanging out the left window. Cool huh?
Day six (Wed) - Day trip with Mi-chan: Wami's mom booked us tickets for a bus tour to a place ironically called "Obama" (小浜市). It was made famous in Japan the same way a lot of places in Japan become famous - it was the location of a popular TV drama. It was a nice town up in the mountains. I didn't get to snap a photo, but did get a chuckle when I saw a sign in a nice hotel that said "I love Obama" accompanied by a caricature of our's truly, Barack.
It was a bummer the weather was not to so hot that day - mostly cloudy and rainy. This was a small village on the way to Obama.
Check out this meal that came with the bus tour! You can't see, but there's a sushi buffet on the side. We followed the meal by bathing in an "onsen" (温泉). Taisei learned to really like those. I couldn't snap a pic cuz there were other naked people in there with us. ;)

The last stop was to a "kamaboko" (かまぼこ) factory. They had lots of yummy types of kamaboko, from fish and crab flavored to Anpanman shaped ones. Taisei really enjoyed eating all the samples.
Day seven (Thu): This day, we did some shopping and then relaxed at Wami's uncle's restaurant, where they pampered us once again with delicious seafood, pizza and pasta. They always spoil me with a special clam dish, but I think it's pretty much become Taisei's dish now because he always eats up all the clams before I can get any. This is an old picture of the same dish.
Wami's mom prepared a nice treat for us again that evening - tickets to a special dinner and onsen bath in a seaside hotel called Iso Hanabi (磯はなび). I snuck the camera in this time because we were alone. Not a bad view to look at while soaking in piping hot water, eh?
Yikes. I'm going to stop because I really enjoyed the last few days and I want to do it justice. I promise I never meant for this thing to become a 3 part report! Lemme just finish with the first half of day eight.
Day eight (Fri) - Bye bye family in Toyama!: We spent the last morning in Toyama hanging around by the bay with the family. Leaving is always hard because we don't know when our next trip back will be.
I'll show you next time where we finally ended up after all the different train rides. I was blown away by this last part of the trip.
________
ps. All Japanese writing contained herein was actually entered by the author himself. No natives were enlisted or hurt in the writing of this blog entry.
pps. Japanese is 1000 times easier to type than Chinese!!

10 comment(s):
Can't believe I'm the first one to comment on your blog. Cool...
Hey Jerin, did you get to drive in Japan? I wonder what it feels like to be driving on the right side of the road...must be pretty interesting...
I was drooling over that clam dish pic you put on your blog...looks so yummy!!! I love spaghetti with clams. One good thing about living on an island is that you get to eat a lot of "fresh seafood".
I once watched that diy chopsticks thing on the news here in Taiwan and I think it's really cool to make your own one of the kind chopsticks.
It makes us want to go visit Japan so bad after reading your post. Adam loves SUSHI a lot!!! we should try to go there in the future. : )
By
Nicole, at
4/19/2008 8:57 AM
Hye, it is a good reaport about Japan trip. I am going to be there soon too. I cannot wait to go Onsen and good foodds. I heard that making chopsticks is actually prrety hard than it looks. I guess I am waiting to read the part 3 soon.
By
Fuku_chan, at
4/19/2008 3:25 PM
How is your Japanese Jerin? I've always wanted to visit Japan, and after reading your post and seeing the photos, you have made me want to go sooo much more.
By
Unknown, at
4/19/2008 10:20 PM
Looks like you had so much fun in Japan! It's so nice to share the joyful journey with your family through this post.
By
Unknown, at
4/20/2008 10:57 AM
Wow, Wami's family (and friends) prepared very exciting trip for you guys. I have never been to the part of Japan you traveled. It is very exciting to see what's up there. Looking forward to the 3rd post ;)
By
kaori, at
4/21/2008 7:39 PM
you do make me want to go to Japan! I've only been once...and that was right after the mission. I was there for a week with my mom and we stayed with a childhood friend of her's in Chiba. I would love to experience more of Japan!
I look forward to part 3!
By
grace, at
4/22/2008 3:15 PM
Wow, looks like a lot of fun and yummy food! I LOVE the outfits for the wedding - Wami you look amazing!
By
Leasha, at
4/26/2008 5:07 AM
Wow. I want to go to Japan!
By
Aaron and Emily, at
5/02/2008 1:59 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun! Big Trip! That's the only way to make these trips count - squeeze in as much as you can. The food looked YUMMY.
Great job on the pictures especially on the dolphin at the acquarium too.
It's good nobody got hurt writing the Japanese. Not always the case when I try to write in Chinese.
By
Matt, at
5/04/2008 7:08 PM
thanks for the tour of rural Japan! I'm getting excited to tour around JP when we move there. I'm a little nervous of living overseas, but reading your post of your trip, its nice to see what I can expect. Although, I don't think I'll ever warm up to going to a public onsen. hehehe I've got my fill from public locker rooms. :)
I am looking forward to the food. I hope Evan learns to eat seafood other than fish.
We'll have to try visiting these places sometime. looks like so much fun!
By
Beverly, at
6/01/2008 10:41 PM
Post a comment
<< Home