Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

First Month With Three

The first month after bringing baby home has been chaos.  Having one kids helps you focus on something besides yourself.  Having two is a reminder that each kid is different and that every family has a different challenge.  Having three completely flips the home upside down, with the kids vying to take over and parents struggling to stay in control.  At least that's our experience.

With the dynamics changing so dramatically, Mirei has gone wild.  She fell off her high chair right after baby was born.  We took her to the pediatrician who treated her for mild concussion.  She's also fallen down the stairs twice. 


Yesterday she fell head first down the stairs, smacking into the railing on the way down.  It looked like it hurt.  After just 5 minutes, she was at it again, goofing around near the top on the stairs.  She's old enough to know and coordinated enough to be safe.  Unfortunately, she just has a high tolerance for pain and doesn't try to avoid it the way Taisei always has.  Learning her lesson hasn't worked.

Other than her wild behavior, she's the cutest thing right now.  It's that age and stage that you wish they'd never grow out of.  Lots of talking, although it requires a special talent to understand.  She's starting to learn the alphabet.  Loves nursery at church.  Loves stickers and bubbles.  Loves to eat nuts, especially pistachios.  Last week she finally figured out how to turn a regular door knob.  That's quite a milestone because she can now get to wherever we are in the house.  It's nice to not have her pounding on doors and getting frustrated, but there's no more hiding from here anymore.  :)


Taisei's really growing up.  He's making better decisions on his own.  He decided to stop getting Time Outs at Kindergarten, and about the same time, his teacher, Mrs. Adams, also told us that his behavior has been markedly improved compared to the beginning of the school year.  She says it's because they have a better understanding and better communication.  I think that's right, in addition to his decision that getting Time Outs is something he'd rather avoid.  Taisei's pretty good at helping with his sisters and little things around the house.  Hopefully he makes the same decision to no longer be naughty at home soon.

Taisei broke his first and second boards.  He's now a high blue belt in karate.

Taisei lost his first tooth and the new one is already growing out. The tooth fairy forgot to come until the weekend, and it shook his faith in not only the tooth fairy, but even Santa Claus.

Utah (and the rest of the US) has been unseasonably warm.  We had nearly 60 degree weather in December once.  Crazy.  But we've been enjoying the outside as much as we can.  If ski season ever starts, I'll take Taisei up and get him on his new (used) set of gear.

5 comment(s):

Mirei IS the cutest thing. I love that picture of her making a funny face in her little coat. She is so charming. I feel bad for her that she keeps hurting herself. Silly girl. If she loves stickers, I guess Am's present went over well!

That's interesting - I didn't even know kids had to have "time out" in kindergarten. Now I think maybe I remember something like this ... that is neat that Taisei's behavior noticeably improved. I wonder why he suddenly changed his perspective.

Wow, that's cool that Taisei can already break boards. I think I would like to go watch him sometime. Do they have karate recitals, or whatever they call them?

Oh, that's so sad that the tardy Tooth Fairy shook his faith in both the fairy AND Santa. I don't ever really remember believing in either though, and it didn't ruin things for me. Who was it ... someone forgot their daughter's tooth, so the daughter left instructions for the Tooth Fairy on the location of her new room in the house.

Oh, I want to go skiing with Taisei, too!

By Blogger Esther, at 1/11/2012 12:14 PM  

Es, we'd love to have you come along for any of the stuff - Taisei especially would. He's performing in our Chinese New Year Party at the Chinese Ward, Jan 28th. All readers of this blog are invited! I'm MCing, so of course it's going to be a crazy awesome party. ;)

Es, Let us know when you want to ski.

By Blogger Jerin, at 1/11/2012 2:19 PM  

Mirei is a crackup! We have gates on our stairs simply because we have those kinds of uncareful kids. I think Samuel fell down the stairs of our townhouse a half dozen times. So when we moved into this house with the tall scary stairs, I was really worried. That's why we still have the gates up for Ezra. Even though he can do the stairs just fine, I worry about him being careless (Adele has already caught him once - I make her go underneath him if I am not there, otherwise the kids aren't supposed to let him go alone).

Congrats to Taisei the blue belt! That is awesome that he does boards, something that adults can't even do!

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 1/11/2012 7:36 PM  

Cool, I'll see if I can make it. I just went back to this blog to look at that first pic of Mirei again. It totally makes me laugh. Maybe I'll make it my wallpaper for a little while, he-he.

By Blogger Esther, at 1/12/2012 7:33 PM  

Finally caught up on you guys. So much has happened. The kids are growing so fast. I love the name Leina. Wami, I can't believe that you just gave birth in November. You look Great! It's been 4 years since my last kid and I am still telling myself that I still need to loose all the baby weight LOL. OK- I must go and run a couple of miles now :-).

By Blogger LaReen, at 2/06/2012 12:12 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home