Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Washington Lake

I survived Boy Scout Camp! Actually, it wasn't bad at all. Seven scouts came and every one of them pulled his weight. As leaders, all we really had to do was keep things organized and structured. The boys cooked their own meals, cleaned up, put up their tents, cleaned the campsite, completed their scouting requirements and regulated each other. It was a miracle. Last year's Scout Camp at Frontier horrified me. We dealt with multiple fights, vandalism, and just plain disobedience in general. But most of that was from one Scout who wasn't there this year. If you ever thought that one person never made any difference in the whole scheme of things, think again. Last year's camp experience was enough to make me never want to go again. This year's trip may have un-traumatized me.

The Uintas just became my favorite camping spot. We did something called dispersed camping, where you can camp anywhere you want within certain limitations. It might not be for everyone as there were no toilets nor running water. We had to hand carry four coolers full of water about 1/4 of a mile from the cars. But we got there early and found our choice camping spot. Right from our campfire, we had an incredible view of Washington Lake. There was nobody anywhere nearby and, for the first time camping in a long time, there were no fire restrictions. We finally got to cook our tin foil dinners, s'mores and fresh fish. From where we camped, we went on a hike of about 4 miles where we passed 11 lakes. Just 100 ft from our site, the boys and leaders with permits went fishing. Everyone was reeling in fish so often that our "net" guy had to run back and forth just to try to catch all the fish dangling from the hooks. Each boy had hit his limit after just an hour or so. We had a fish buffet going on for the remainder of the trip. Overall, it was a fun and productive trip. Next trip there, we'd like to invite you to come along!

6 comment(s):

That's the type of camping that Nate always talks about doing, where there's nobody around and there are no designated campsites, just plain wilderness. It's definitely not my thing, but maybe next time, Nate ought to join you.

By Blogger Nate and Mags, at 8/09/2006 12:35 AM  

I swear- Jerry Looks so much like my dad.
-LaReen

By Blogger LaReen, at 8/09/2006 10:29 AM  

Hey Mags,
Let's go! Nate and I will dig nice deep holes - you'd never know it was anything different from squatting in Hong Kong. By the rules, they have to be 6-8 inches deep anyway. :D

Hey La - you know, Bishop Jerry is from Shanghai too. Hmmmm.... Any relation? By the way, I just found out I'm related to some of our good friends in the ward. Our friend's dad's aunt is my great-grandma's sister. Weird, no!??!

By Blogger Jerin, at 8/09/2006 1:57 PM  

That sounds like so much fun! I was thinking we should do a camping trip for a Yu family reunion. I think Esther and John liked that idea of finding one spot to stay in. (But with running water and toilets)...I am glad you guys know how to chow down on fish. It drives me nuts that my father in law and brother in laws go fishing so often and ALWAYS throw the fish back. A sport? Come on, it's a meal!

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 8/10/2006 10:21 PM  

That Uinta trip looks like fun. I'm glad you're group was able to have more fun this time. Vandalism in a forest just seems like an oxymoron.

Am, I saw a news report on a crazy contest - sport fishing for shark, where you catch and release a shark and get points for the type of shark, if you are able to get the hook out before releasing the shark, etc. Crazy. But yeah, I'd want to eat the fish too :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/14/2006 12:47 PM  

Oops. I know how to spell "your." :) Caught myself right before I published my comment.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/14/2006 12:48 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home