Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

New Believer

For all my ABC* peeps out there, you'll know what I'm talking about. The rest of you might be astonished at this announcement. After 3 years of hand-washing our dishes here in our Avenues home, we have filled the hole under our kitchen counter with a real, live dishwasher. (A big thank you to our generous donors.) No, I haven't been abusing my wife all along. She never wanted one. In fact, I had to convince her that it would be useful. But without ever having used one myself, I had to find out for myself. That's right. I lived in four different places with dishwashers in the last 10 years and have yet to turn one on. My roommates (mostly ABC, just like me) and I did them by hand and used the dishwasher as a drying rack. Anyway, after consulting with my sister and my parents on the most effective usage patterns, we decided to give it a try. We discovered that it saves time! And it's probably more sanitary too, with the ultra-hot cleansing action. We've joined the believers. Not washing dishes by hand has been wonderful.

*ABC or similarly ABT
**
Being Taiwanese see #33

10 comment(s):

On the suggestion of Mark (one of those former ABC roomates of yours) we started using the dishwasher in our apartment after Andersen was born...and we haven't looked back to handwashing since. I guess these things can serve a better purpose than just a really really expensive dishrack! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/07/2006 8:51 AM  

And you were one of those former ABC roommates yourself, I might point out. Yes, somewhere along the way, AFTER I had already moved out, my parents became believers themselves. It was quite a shock to visit home once and see a dishwasher running. :)

By Blogger Jerin, at 12/07/2006 9:11 AM  

That's a good-looking dishwasher too. Nice! Yeah, it was awesome having a dishwasher when we had a lot of guests at our house.

Also, considering that sponges get bacteria-filled easily, I definitely agree that a dishwasher is the cleanest option. (Microwave your sponge for 30 seconds once in a while to kill all the baceria.)

By Blogger Esther, at 12/07/2006 11:41 AM  

Nuking your sponges also gets rid of any smells too, I noticed. We do it often. They're hot afterwards, by the way. (Go figure.) Be forewarned. You can't pull a hot coffee stunt and sue us like McDonalds! ;)

By Blogger Jerin, at 12/07/2006 12:35 PM  

it must have been because i lived with chinese hawaiians and not ABC's that made me allergic to dishwashers too. we had one in college but never used it. it was handwashing all the way. i never had one in nyc, but i do have one now. and it has changed my life. the funny thing is my present roommate (AKA - adopted korean american) doesn't believe i handwashing. she claims that none of us can get the dishes clean enough the way a dishwasher can. ha ha.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/07/2006 1:01 PM  

Yeah, I suspect chinese and perhaps other asians all over the world have been infected by the allergy. Non-believers. Can't knock it til you try it I guess.

I'm sure the next generation of ABCs (3rd gen) will be composed completely of believers.

By Blogger Jerin, at 12/07/2006 2:33 PM  

Ah, correction there...I was your CBC roommate. See here . Although if you're talking about the greater Americas, then I guess I can accept the designation ABC, though I think NABC would be more correct. :D

By Blogger andrew, at 12/09/2006 10:34 AM  

More specific link here.

By Blogger andrew, at 12/09/2006 10:37 AM  

A little late to comment, but better late than never. I grew up with a little bit of both... my mom hand washed dishes, then used the dishwasher to sanitize. During college, we all used the dishwasher as a drying rack too, but I believe it was mainly to conserve energy (and maintain a low electric bill!). However, I still don't believe in dishwashers. Everytime I use mine, which is whenever we have a party and I don't feel like doing 1000 dishes, I always point out reasons to Josh why I never use dishwashers... i.e. horrible water stains, unclean dishes, rings in cups, etc. So, I'm just wondering, is there a Mercedes Benz of dishwashers out there, one where you can literally place DIRTY dishes in it, turn it on, and voila, CLEAN dishes? Or do you always have to pretreat??

By Blogger Heckachan, at 12/24/2006 6:11 PM  

Thank you for the postcard. Sounds like you are very busy with your son Taisei(Daesung). I really like the meaning.
I heard from Yanghui that you guys had meals together. I wish I were there. Sometimes I miss my school life in Utah.
You know what? I'd got a letter from Yumi san last October. She moved to Sapporo from Tokyo a couple of years ago. When you have have, please send emails to her. Her email address is
"pandakopanchan@yahoo.co.jp"
It's really wonderful to receive emails or letters from old friends.
Have a great year 2007 and always be happy.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/13/2007 10:25 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home