Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Wasps Bite

Last week while riding down past Desolation Lake above Big Cottonwood Canyon, a wasp flew up my sleeve and stung me on my bicep. It really startled me since we happened to be moving pretty fast through high and thick growth. All the rider behind me could see was Jerin swatting wildly at his left sleeve while trying to stay on the trail. To me, a wasp's bite feels like someone stuck you an inch deep with a needle and decided to leave it there for an hour or so. After about half a day, then it starts to wildly itch. The more you itch, the more the poison spreads around in the area. Fun stuff, huh? Well, it's been just over a week now and the itch and redness has finally started subside. This morning, on the way to work on my scooter, I felt a whack on my throat. I was trying to determine if it was just my helmet strap flapping in the wind or... ouch.. OUCH! NOT AGAIN! Bit on the chest! Nope it wasn't my helmet strap - another wasp flew into my throat and, probably stunned, fell into my shirt. By the way - they seem to literally HANG ON when they bite you. It seems like it takes them 3 or 4 seconds (probably only 1 or 2 in reality) for them to inject their poison. So as I'm riding downhill fast on B street, all the cars behind me could see was some poor guy whacking himself all over his chest, like some undersized ape with too much testosterone. By golly, I was going to kill the thing if it was still crawling around in my shirt somewhere. I managed to stop on the side of the road and untuck my shirt to see if I had killed it. I never did find it. It could still be squished... or even alive... somewhere in my shirt at this very moment as I type this entry...

Update: Woah! Only while I was in the process of uploading this picture just now did I notice there are actually TWO bites on my chest. No wonder I'm feeling kinda woozy right now....

7 comment(s):

You are so unlucky with the wasps. What is it that makes them attracted to you?

La

By Blogger LaReen, at 8/28/2006 11:57 AM  

Oh nooooo! It looks very very painful! BTW what is Wasps? Is this kind of a bee?

I shouldn't... but I laugned a bit imagining what people in the car thought looking at the apes. (lol)

I hope you feel better... kaori

By Blogger kaori, at 8/28/2006 7:48 PM  

Dang bro, you have the worst luck sometimes!

By Blogger andrew, at 8/28/2006 7:57 PM  

well that's amazing. 2 wasp stings in one week. They must be after you. And were they your first wasp stings ever? I remember sitting next to my friend while he got bit and bit, and we got in the car, and yowch! he got bit in the car some more because they flew into his shirt. he got stung 13 times (and i escaped unharmed). In fact, about half the stake went awake with bites, because someone's car ran over a wasps nest as we were leaving stake youth conference.

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 8/28/2006 9:18 PM  

i'm so sorry to hear about those dang wasps. that really sucks. If I were there, I'd get revenge with my electric swatter!! mwahahahah.
hope you're not allergic. i guess you're not since you're still alive to post. get better soon!

By Blogger Beverly, at 8/28/2006 10:25 PM  

aren't you supposed to stop, drop and roll?

hehe when i first read, i thought it flew into your throat, you swallowed it, and it bit you inside your chest!!!

By Blogger ricka, at 8/30/2006 5:43 PM  

I second that thought from ricka. I also thought you meant the wasp went down your throat. Well, I hope you don't get any more bites.
We actually have 4 some wasp's hives in our window. 2 in our bedroom window...because of a small opening, and the other 2 are in our window vent. Don't worry we never open our bedroom window...it also has alot of spiders inside.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/02/2006 3:25 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home