Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Cheering with the Big Boys

Today was another great win for the Cougars. They took advantage of the home game against the SD State Aztecs with a 47-17 thumping. By halftime the score was already 40-3. The rest was just garbage time.

The fun thing was that I got to go down to Provo and watch the game live with my Dad. But even better, he scored us spots in the President's Suite. It was a perfect view with protection from the elements, catered food and seating for about 150. We were specifically asked by President Samuelson not to wear Red (obviously) and not to wear jeans. I couldn't figure out the latter request until a few minutes after we arrived. Not long after, I had the priviledge of rubbing shoulders and cheering on the Cougs with some local LDS celebrities. Well, to the LDS, they're a little more than celebrities. I noticed Elder L. Tom Perry walk into the room first because of his gigantic stature. Then, I got to meet Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Richard G. Scott and President Cecil O. Samuelson. Everyone was so friendly. I wish I had done my research because there were many other big names there that I would have been able to Google, if you know what I mean. I got to joke around with the current Athletics Director, Tom Holmoe, about the current woeful state of the 49ers compared to when he played in the glory Superbowl days of the '80s. I also saw Lavell Edwards but didn't get a chance to meet him. Many others there were committee members and very large contributors to the school. I didn't know if it was appropriate for me to bust out the camera and start snapping pics, so I didn't. But I'm sure I'm not the only person who wanted to.

7 comment(s):

Jerin,

sounds like you had fun. you're big time now bud =)

david

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/07/2006 5:08 PM  

Cool! Apostles AND Football! A good mix of spirituality and school spirit. Now I hope you had access to a window on the OTHER side so you could actually watch the game.... :D

By Blogger andrew, at 10/08/2006 2:49 PM  

What, no pictures?! That is very out of character for you, Jerin! Don't you have a camera on you cell phone? Anyway, sounds like you had a sweet time.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/08/2006 9:10 PM  

Sounds boring... you should've been at my house... I spent most of Saturday cleanning out the garage and found $1.25 in change!
:)

So I guess that means you'll be called to the 12 sometime soon right? Now that you're hanging out with the 'big boys' :)

No, I'm not jealous at all... I hate football anyways. Sean :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/08/2006 10:35 PM  

To bad I got the whole story from you at dinner tonight? OLD NEWS! Lol, just kidding!

By Blogger Keoki, at 10/09/2006 12:17 AM  

Dude! That's awesome, watching the cougs w/ the Brethren. I'm so jealous!
But no pics? Come on, man, I know you got stealth recon picture taking skills. Oh well, when's the next game?
ps. how did your dad score those tixs?

By Blogger Michelle, at 10/17/2006 4:42 PM  

Yo!
My dad got invited to be some Engineering Department Committee. I think they basically pick out the relatively successful entrepreneurs and ask them to come help out with the program (probably monetarily as well as with advice). I think my dad feels like he's giving back. This is the 2nd time he got tix but the first time in the presidential suite. Sweet! I remember I also met a Skousen -not sure which one though.

By Blogger Jerin, at 10/18/2006 6:32 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home