Yu Have Come to the Right Place.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Attention Statisticians and Meteorologists!

Is it true the lightning never strikes twice? How about a third time? My whole life, I had never been bitten by a bee nor a wasp until I was a college student at BYU. Then last month, I had three bites by 2 wasps in 10 days. The last bite was exactly eight days ago last Monday. Right? WRONG! The last bite was exactly 5 hours ago as I was on my way back from work. The statistic is now 4 bites by 3 wasps in about 1 month's time. And I'm 0 for 3 on returning the favor.

This time, I was riding home after work on the scooter. I wore a collared shirt and leather jacket. I SAW and felt the wasp hit the right side of my neck. This time, as I brought my left arm to my neck, I thought "I hope that's not... ouch... OUCH - NOT AGAIN!" Again, frantic swatting and even swerving ensued as I attempted to stop ASAP on 600 North. The other time I stopped in this exact same spot, there were three cop cars with their firearms pulled and aimed at 2 people in a red Ford Bronco. I watched in amusement and only slight amazement as a woman bolted from the passenger side and cops tackled her to the ground. But that's another story.


I guess it's about time I learn something from this. First of all, don't scratch. The last time was horrid. After the pain left, intense itching followed for several days - especially since my shirt rubbed at every movement. There were two spots. With the smaller one I lost all self-control and blissfully scratched. That itch grew to a red 6" diameter splotch and still hasn't totally gone away. But the other spot never got very big. Don't spread the poison! Secondly, is this the reason why bikers wear tight shirts and pants? Because if it is... then maybe I'm an idiot to take 4 bites before I figured that out. But also maybe I'm still not going to do it. Don't they kind of fall in the same category as Speedos?

As for the rest of the Yu household, Wami is slaving away trying to get her project done by the deadline. She's been doing an at-home contracting job for Reading Horizons, doing some English to Japanese translation. She's excited to have a little extra spending money to use on her next big vacation. She only has a few hours a day to work, as Taisei demands our full attention now when he's awake.

These days, the sun has been setting dramatically earlier. But that hasn't stopped me from trying to grill with a flashlight. Thanks to James for recommending the Weber's "Real Grilling". I've definitely gotten better. Tonight I grilled up some sirloin beef and mushrooms on a stick. The `shrooms were particularly delectable. Come over sometime and I'll serve you up some!

6 comment(s):

Hey Jerin,

sorry to hear about all your bad luck w/insects the last few days...

you should move back to CA :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/06/2006 1:25 AM  

Jerin, I feel so sorry for you! Hopefully, this will be the last one! BTW, when I was looking at the picture of Wami doing the computer, I saw HIRO's diploma on the wall. It's so cool! I have to do that too so that Loui will know we are proud of him. (Then, he might actually do what he learned (lol))

By Blogger kaori, at 9/06/2006 12:32 PM  

Man, I can't believe you've been stung that many times almost in a week. I hope all that poison isn't affecting you. Maybe you'll become immune to bee, wasp, and hornet stings. And then everyone in your neighborhood will ask you to get rid of their wasp nests, which might not be a good thing.

By Blogger LCT, at 9/06/2006 7:50 PM  

My father in law Larry took Paul and Becca fishing last weekend. They stumbled on a wasps nest, and wasps attacked Becca. Larry knocked them off her, and escaped with only one bite. She only had one bite too. But where was Paul? Larry saw him in the water. What's he doing? Becca said "I think he's playing in the water." Paul got swarmed by the wasps and had the quick thinking to jump in the water. So many wasp stories this month, how strange.

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 9/08/2006 6:50 PM  

Glad I've never been stung by a wasp or be..'knock on wood'..cool story though. :)

By Blogger Tanya Sio, at 9/13/2006 2:53 PM  

Yeah wasps suck! But luckly its been a while since I got bit. Also with it getting colder I don't think there will be too many more bee's out plus you wont want to have to ride the ped when it starts to get colder

Umm? Where was I during the Sirlion BBQ? Sheesh we always only get Burgers and dogs when we come over? Lol j/k!(kinda ;)

Just waiting for the post of our wives leaving for Japan. I haven't posted my sob story yet either. Still figuring out how I feel about the whole thing.

Oh well I'll call but I dunno kinda weird 2 dudes hanging out plus the whole Costco membership card thing has got me a bit leary lol (inside joke y'all!)

By Blogger Keoki, at 9/26/2006 1:33 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home